We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Premium economy to Antigua is best BA or Virgin?

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Topic
Which Premium economy to Antigua is best BA or Virgin?

Could anyone please advise which is best for premium economy to Antigua - BA or Virgin

I have flown Virgin Premium, but not BA. Had problems with Virgin last time and really don't want to fly with them but their PE was good.

Could anyone who's flown both please advise as we're looking to go in December back to Cocobay and currently BA are cheaper.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,949 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Premium economy to Antigua is best BA or Virgin?

Virgin by far (sorry!) World Traveller Plus is really not very different to economy, whilst Premium Economy is a big step up, especially if you are up in the bubble.

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Premium economy to Antigua is best BA or Virgin?

Deans- You also need to factor in that some of the Virgin flights touchdown in Barbados first,unload and then go on to Antigua therefore adding to a long journey.

The BA flight lands in Antigua and I think then goes to Barbados - the point being it lands in Antigua first.

Also whichever you choose,try and pick a day where both flights don't land on the same day. Our first time in Antigua on a weekend coincided with a delayed Virgin flight and it took 2 hrs to get through immigration.

Being wiser the second year our Monday BA flight had us through customs in 20 mins!

For my two pennies worth we have done BA World Traveller Plus. It was fine,but looking at the Virgin product,if it is as advertised probably looks better.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Premium economy to Antigua is best BA or Virgin?

Thanks Mizgeorge and stevenc4874 for quick responses

Thats what I thought. Virgin PE was good, but had not flown BA world traveller plus so could not compare. On their website it does not look as good as V.

Will remember to check days they don't fly in on same day, but we have experienced Antigua airport 3 times and had short and long trips (2 hours, with some people passing out) through immigration. The flight we had with Virgin was on a wednesday and was direct to Antigua, but will check it's still the same. 1 landing is enough.

London
Level Contributor
622 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Premium economy to Antigua is best BA or Virgin?

I've always found BA World Traveller Plus to be an excellent flying experience, I prefer the newer and quieter 777 aircraft in the BA fleet to the ageing 747's used by Virgin. The WTP cabin is very small/Private and the seats are very comfortable. Not sure if the Gatwick fleet used by Virgin has the luxurious purple leather seats, which are very good, or the old ones - maybe another traveller can advise on this? I would base my decision more on cost and flight schedule. GRIFF

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Premium economy to Antigua is best BA or Virgin?

Personally I would choose BA ahead of Virgin everytime.

London, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Premium economy to Antigua is best BA or Virgin?

I've not flown long haul with BA we always go with Virgin, always try to get PE on the return leg.

We also like check in and chill out which you get with Virgin Holidays.

We're flying on a Wed so its direct, but the return is via Barbados but at least we're in PE.

england
Level Contributor
225 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Premium economy to Antigua is best BA or Virgin?

Have to agree with mizgeorge, BA PE is not much of an upgrade whilst Virgin PE upstairs is very good, although by choice we like to sit right at the back so we are in pole position to charge down the stairs when we land, sometimes you don't get the meal of your choice. If that is the only downside then it cannot be a bad thing.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Premium economy to Antigua is best BA or Virgin?

Have finally booked Cocobay and with Virgin for December but got wed flight due to costs and also coming back on Thursday before and not Christmas eve, unfortunately the Wed flight is via Barbados, but we got PE both ways which is a bonus. Will remember the tip for on the way out about trying to get seats near the steps for quick exit as we have been in Antigua immigration for 2 hours before.

Lynda

9. Re: Which Premium economy to Antigua is best BA or Virgin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Antigua
Recent Conversations