We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling Alone

Level Contributor
35 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling Alone

I'm a senior and want to spend a week at the Jolly Beach Resort in Antigua.

Are there any other Young Seniors who have traveled alone to this island and this resort?

Any help you could give would be appreciated. I've spent some time on Antigua while on several cruises - but this will be first time at an A/I resort on my own.

Thanks for any help you can give me, i.e., things to do, things to see, things within walking distance?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,949 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling Alone

JBR is the ideal resort for solo travellers - not least because it's one of the only ones I know that charges no single supplement.

You're likely to find others travelling alone there, and also that the bars and restaurants are friendly areas for everyone.

Do take a wander next door to the Jolly Harbour marina - lots of great boats to see and plenty of shops and things. I'd also thoroughly recommend taking a water based tour - perhaps the Eco tour, which originates from Jolly Harbour, and is ideal for every age of passenger.

Level Contributor
35 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling Alone

Thank you so much Mzgeorge. Your feedback will be very helpful as I plan this trip!

Level Contributor
35 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling Alone

Another thought: The price for transfers for the package I'm looking at runs about $50 US - I think I read somewhere that the distance from a/p to JB is about 9 miles? Are there other transfer services available at the a/p that might be less expensive?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling Alone

I'm a senior and have spent time on my own in Antigua, but not at Jolly Harbour. There are a number of catamaran type excursions round the island. Do some research. I enjoyed that. I believe Papa Zouk's organize a minibus to pick you up for dinner but don't know which evenings. That's worth the trip. Remember, no menu, not even a chalk board. Seafood and fish are beautifully done, take cash, no credit cards. And decline the expensive rum offered. The spa at Sugar Ridge was offering a monthly deal but even for a week it was worth it. Lovely location, pamper yourself. Taxi from airport to Jolly Harbour is $24, government rate. Just see the dispatcher across the road on the left when you come out of customs.

5. Re: Traveling Alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:41
Get answers to your questions about Antigua
Recent Conversations