We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

State of Ffryes beach?

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
State of Ffryes beach?

Hey all!

Visited Antigua in 2007...now I'm going to go back and get married there next spring.

I want my ceremony to be on either Valley Church or Ffryes beach. I know that they built the Nest on Valley Church, and have heard about the reverse osmosis plant on Ffryes beach.

So...what does Ffryes beach look like now? If I want to avoid the people hanging around the Nest and the water plant, what area among those 2 beaches would you suggest? Is it still more isolated on Valley Church closer to Denis's?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: State of Ffryes beach?

Ffryes itself is still beautiful, but the building works in front isn't pretty, and there's been some development at the southern end which might detract from the view a little.

The southern end of Valley Church is still lovely, and well away from the Nest, though the sand at that end can have a lot of small shells in it at times.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: State of Ffryes beach?

Thanks! I'm glad to have help figuring this out in advance before I accidently get married in front of a factory lol.

Lake District, UK
Level Contributor
851 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: State of Ffryes beach?

What about the north end of Jolly Beach?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: State of Ffryes beach?

Just a small thought, but however lovely a deserted beach may be for a wedding, if you are having any guests, you need to consider them a little as well.

One of the reasons I chose to have my own ceremony on Darkwood was that I wanted to be sure of having easy access to bathrooms, drinks, shade (very important) and parking as there were children coming, as well as a couple of older guests.

It sounds like a nice idea, but trailing across hot sand, even in flip flops, for any distance, isn't ideal (especially if you opt for a conventional wedding dress), and you can get pretty hot in the process.

Consider having your service an hour or so before sundown - not only is it a little cooler then, but the light's at its best then for pictures, and backdrop of a sunset makes for some extra special ones at the end.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: State of Ffryes beach?

Steve, I irrationally don't care for Jolly Beach. I have no real reason! The north end IS nicer though.

Mizgeorge, that's a good point about facilities. Things will be quick tough, with no children or elders as guests. I plan to get married in the morning around 10am. My plan is to hire a jitney to bring my guests on a private tour immediately after the ceremony while the wedding party and me and new husband do photos for a few hours (sufficient time for photos is super important, as I spent 7 years working with a super fabulous photographer). Maybe I'll look into a tent/canopy rental for shade for guests. And of course light refreshments :)

6. Re: State of Ffryes beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 11:15