We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AI Hotel Selection

Toronto
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
AI Hotel Selection

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading reviews about 3 specific AI hotels: Jolly Roger, Grand Pineapple and The Rex. The price for them is all about the same. My bf and I are planning our first vacation together and I want it to be special and memorable. My preference is for a hotel that'll not be too overcrowded, where the beach is going to clean and nice for swimming/snorkelling. Where we might be able to walk into the city... I'm not certain if that's even an option?!? Or at least, if we'd like to take a cab or rent a car for the day to go into town it wouldn't be too far.

He's a bit of a foodie so, this will be important as well.

I'm leaning toward Grand Pineapple but I've read some recent posts on the Virtual Tourist thread that aren't too favourable.

I need to book this trip ASAP so please, please HELP!!!!!

Thanks

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AI Hotel Selection

Jolly Roger, is Jolly Beach. If you want to walk anywhere then I would suggest Jolly Beach or the Rex Halcyon. Grand Pineapple is way out of the way for Antigua. Also depends on which time of the year you plan regarding busy beaches.

Regards

Mark.

Toronto
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: AI Hotel Selection

Thanks for the info Mark. Yes, I guess I failed to provide some important info. We are early/mid thirties. We are planning on leaving the last week of July (around the 29th...) -- is it true Carnival is around at that time?

Good to know the Pineapple is far removed from stuff. I guess, highest priority will be for R&R, some good swimming and snorkel. Whether we leave the resort or not isn't as much of a big deal. Oh and food, is the food decent? I'm not looking for fine dining here, I can put things in perspective but I would just hope there's plenty of fresh fruit and some variety.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AI Hotel Selection

Although it's carnival, the beaches won't be crowded. St. John's the capital will be busy on an evening though. Grand Pineapple will be the best location for snorkelling though of the 3 hotels. As for food in the 3 hotels, I would say mainly decent, that's all. Checkout Hawksbill too, a sister hotel of the Rex, it has 4 lovely beaches on it's property.

Regards

Mark

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AI Hotel Selection

we had same problem choosing hotel but finally plumped for Grand Pineapple as beach looks fantastic and we're staying in beachfront rooms...only 2 weeks to go to get away from the awful British summer!!...may see you there!!

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,075 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AI Hotel Selection

Second everything Mark says! For what you want, I'd probably choose Hawksbill, followed by Pineapple. Jolly Beach is much bigger than the others, and has much more nearby, though, and also has the option of a very affordable bus route straight into town (costs about $US1 rather than a $US50+ round trip by taxi). Halcyon is the nearest to town, but has no bus service. It's on the busiest beach on the island, and IMO the least good for swimming.

Fresh fruit is in surprisingly short supply at most resorts, but is well worth buying from roadside vendors.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AI Hotel Selection

I worry when I hear about any "foodie" going to an all-inclusive. Food at all-inclusive resorts is generally okay but not much more. This is quite subjective, of course, but many folks seem to have very unrealistic expectations about the food they are going to get. Most places go for quantity over quality.

Edited: 12 July 2012, 01:42
Lake District, UK
Level Contributor
851 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AI Hotel Selection

Swimming is good though the snorkelling is usually poor to non existent because of low visibility at Jolly Beach, but it is well placed for the bus service to other beaches, St John's or even English Harbour if you change at the St. John's bus station.

Edited: 12 July 2012, 09:04
8. Re: AI Hotel Selection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 05:46
Get answers to your questions about Antigua