We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi company

newton, iowa
Level Contributor
63 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
taxi company

I recently traveled to Antigua and used the UTA taxi company. Driver was very pleasant.. Authur George was his name. Just this week I received an e-mail.. from the same email address I had used to reserve the taxi with Arthur.. it stated he had been robbed in Spain and needed me to send him $300.00 US money.. signed Authur George and the UTA united taxi association.. I have my doubts that this is legit.. and wonder if anyone has has experienced this? THinking that someone must be using Authurs name?

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi company

It's a scam. Someone posted it on Antigua Forum, which I promptly erased.

Please take no notice of it and don't reply.

Regards

Mark

Edited: 12 September 2012, 02:37
newton, iowa
Level Contributor
63 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi company

Thanks for you response. I am just concerned that it was the same email address that I had booked a taxi with.. and that they are using Arthur Georges name. Thinking the company and Arthur would want to know about it. ? too late in me responding.. :) as I sent a message back.. on the original email I had used back in March,, and so far no response. do you believe it is safe for other travelers to use this taxi service? thanks for your opinionl

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,786 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi company

This happens regularly - especially to people with hotmail addresses. Whole contact lists are suddenly bombarded with requests for help, and you know what? Some gullible folks fall for it and send money to the scammers.

It doesn't in any impact whether a taxi service is safe to use, however.

newton, iowa
Level Contributor
63 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi company

thanks again.. and i suppose since they had an email address for me they were able to access it..

5. Re: taxi company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2013, 10:21