We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Tax

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
458 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Tax

Just had an email from Best@travel informing me a new Airport Tax is starting in Antigua on November 1st at £48:00 per person

I'm going January 2nd

They have added it to my balance to be paid next month

Any one heard about this?

Thanks

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Tax

That's approx $215 ECD, at the moment it's $70 ECD. I did hear it might go up but not to that extent. I would certainly question your TA. It sounds very dodgy to me ??????

Regards

Mark

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Tax

Am here at the moment and as far as am aware you pay on departure its 28 US dollars of 70 ECD each - £48 each seems an awful lot of money. Certainly would query paying on your bill before you go as I thought you had to pay in cash on departure.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,852 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Tax

caribarena.com/antigua/travel/travel-tips/99…

this article suggests that there will no longer be a departure tax paid in cash, but instead taxes will be added to the airline ticket at a much higher rate.

We have not heard anything as yet from BA re out flight in April....

Edited: 21 September 2012, 15:54
Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Tax

Just checked on it here. I'm afraid it's right. !!!!!!!!. Wow that's to help pay for the new airport.

Regards

Mark

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
522 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Tax

We're flying in on 2nd November and out on 16th. We've already paid for holiday, flights etc. in full. Wonder if we're going to get hit with a surcharge on exit or if Virgin will bite the bullet in this instance?

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
458 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Tax

"Typical"

Thanks Guys

Portsmouth, England
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Tax

wow, £48 each..... Glad I am going in October, must remember to book Aruba for next year..............

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,852 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Tax

It works out about £30 extra

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
522 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Tax

As I understand it - the tax will be added to the air fare and you will no longer have to pay a departure tax once you have checked in. So you will see air fares rise (because the airlines will have to pay the tax), but not have to keep cash available to pay a separate departure tax at the airport.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,852 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Tax

Yes, that's how I understand it...but for many of us who only flew to Antigua to transit to other islands, by Liat or charter, or whatever, we've never paid any departure tax. So now, we will pay with our BA ticket AND I assume the same for our connecting flight....and that will come to circa £90.

So might as well fly with KLM or AF to St. Marten and take local connections where the departure tax is only 3 euros or so...to Anguilla or St. Barths anyway.

I've never liked Antigua, so no great loss, except BA airmiles.