We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self catering

Torkers
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
self catering

Am going self catering in January for 2 weeks, could someone give me an idea of prices for staples such as milk, bread, tea etc. I presume one cannot take any food stuffs in to the country from the UK.

Thank you

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,808 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: self catering

You'll find basic grocery shopping just slightly more expensive than the UK - with alcohol much cheaper.

Watch out for premium imported products - these can be a lot more expensive than non-brand name basics, especially from the US.

You can bring stuff in with you from the UK. I wouldn't bother with fresh stuff, but DO bring your favourite tea bags, instant coffee, and any preferred seasonings.

Where are you staying? (just to be able to recommend good shopping places).

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: self catering

Depends on the products that you buy - there are some products, the overseas ones, that will cost twice as much as what they may cost in the UK. Especially, as MzGeorge points out, with the premium imported stuff. This is mainly due to shipping and heavy import tax. However, there are often cheaper alternatives if you go to one of the bigger supermarkets that will bring down the price/

As Mizgeorge also pointed out, it would be good to bring non perishable/non refrigerated food items that you can get for a pound or two from tescos/iceland/aldi etc, which will probably save you as much as it's worth per item. On the other hand, you'll find that eating out can be as cheap/cheaper than in the UK

I'm actually going to be doing a bit of a staycation in a few weeks at Jolly, so I'll give you a detailed list from the local epicurean super market when I do so (Just post a reminder in the next 3 weeks!)

Torkers
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: self catering

What a super fast feed back, thank you both so much. I tend to have a fairly healthy diet, salads, fish etc..nice bottle of wine..so if I budget about £500 pw for 3 people would I be in the right sort of area. I am going to be staying somewhere on the 'North finger' in Jolly Harbour, hopefully that is quite nice if one hires a golf buggy?!!!!! I really do appreciate you taking the time, again thank you both. Xxx

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,808 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: self catering

You'll be more than fine on that budget - with plenty to spare for some meals out!

The Epicurean at Jolly Harbour is an excellent supermarket, but it's worth being aware of when the containers come in for fresh produce - shop late on Tuesday/early Wednesday for things like milk and imported salad etc. You'll find some excellent wines, particularly from Chile and the US, at much cheaper prices than the UK.

There are also some very reasonable eating out options in the area - in particular, try the Akropolis for really good Greek food at great prices.

5. Re: self catering

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 15:19