We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling Mizgeorge :)

Spotswood, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Calling Mizgeorge :)

Hi everyone! Please bear with me and the questions :) We have planned a trip to Antigua for two weeks, Jan 26th through Feb 9th. We've rented a villa in Seaton Village and are planning on renting a car for the duration of the trip. The owner of the villa recommend Sunny Car rentals. Does anyone know where I would be able to down load a map of Antigua for my Garmin?

I have a few questions. Are there any supermarkets close to Seaton Village? We plan on doing most of our eating at the villa, but we would also like to eat out a few times, lunch and dinner. We typically like local, reasonably priced caribbean food and eat out at least once or twice at a nice restaurant in a stunning location, like the Cove for example, not looking to pay NYC prices though :) but willing to pay for good food with good service in a nice stunning location beach side or overlooking the water. Planning on eating at Papa Zouks, but I've seen mixed reviews.

We would like to go to Barbuda for maybe a 1 day / night or 2 nights / 3 days. Looking for somewhere with air conditioning, does not have to be on the beach, we'll probably rent a car over there and take the ferry both ways.

Thanks very much.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,224 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling Mizgeorge :)

Hi your RH,

Congratulations on opting to stay in a villa rather than a big resort - you'll enjoy the island so much more for it, and it's a lovely part of the island with nice breezes. Sunny are fine as a rental co - but I'll give the same advice I always do - check the car over carefully when you get it, take pictures (phone is enough) of any existing damage and the fuel gauge, and check that the spare tyre is there, and in good shape.

You can get a garmin map here: www.gpstravelmaps.com/antigua_barbuda.php - though in honesty, the island's so small I'm not sure you really get much from it. It's just as easy to ask someone if you're unsure of the way to anywhere!

There are no supermarkets near the village - a couple of superettes fairly nearby, but you're better off making the trip over to St Johns and shopping there. The nearest place would be Gourmet Basket (on the way from the airport), but the Epicurean or First Choice both have a better range IOM.

Eating out is very much a question of taste. Some of my favourite places are very simple and not expensive, but for a great setting, you might want to consider Sheer Rocks at Cocobay, Carmichaels at Sugar Ridge or one of the lovely waterside restaurants at English Harbour - I like Catherine's Cafe and I believe the Southern Cross will have reopened by then and will be run by one of my favourite chefs.

For more informal (and less expensive) meals at lunchtime, there are some good places to eat right on the beach - Bumpkins at Pigeon Beach, Mama Pasta or La Tartaruga at Long Bay, Darkwood, or Galleon Beach would all be good choices, but there are plenty more.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions to add.

Papa Zouk's is an experience. I'll say no more, but if you enjoy rum and seafood it's worth it. I try to go on days when Bert isn't there...

As for Barbuda, I'd opt for a guest house if you're not bothered about being directly on the beach and plan to have a car. Take a look here: http://www.barbudaful.net/guesthouses.html - only a couple offer air conditioning, but you could happily go without at that time of year as the breezes will be good and all have fans to cool you.

No problem with questions - that's why we're here!

Spotswood, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling Mizgeorge :)

Hi mizgeorge - Wow, thank you very much for your prompt response. I guess we'll stop on the way from the airport to get breakfast supplies @ The Gourmet Basket and do the "major" grocery shopping the following day, we arrive on a Saturday. Are the supermarkets open on a Sunday? Where are the Epicurean or First Choice located? St. Johns?

Any good recommendations to eat dinner out on the first night? Some good local food close by to the villa would be ideal. We like sailfish, bake's, breadfruit, peas and rice, roti and my favorite, macaroni pie, it's really good in Barbados! You get the picture :)

Any good recommendations for a catamaran cruise with lunch and rum of course:) We basically like the beach, good local food and Rum! BTW, what's the local rum in Antigua?

Again, mizgeorge, thanks a whole lot - H.R.H. :)

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling Mizgeorge :)

Epicurean and First Choice will both be open on Sunday. Epicurean is located on the outskirts of town, on Friars Hill Road, while First Choice is on Anchorage Road. The local rum is Cavalier. Eli's Eco Tours usually get great reviews, so you can start with them.

4. Re: Calling Mizgeorge :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 20:19