We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendation

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
420 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendation

We will be back in Antigua after 26+ years.

We will be staying at a Villa in Jolly beach last week of March. We are foodies. We also enjoy a good atmosphere, preferably a place with good ocean views and outdoor dinning.

We will have a car for the entire duration of our stay, and our not afraid of driving at night either. ( However prefer not driving more then 30 minutes each way).

What places do you all recommend?

So far during my research I have added the following to our list: East, Carmichel, Sheerrock, Labussola, La Bistro, Sugar club, The Bay @ Nonsuch bay, Cambusa, Cecilia high point cafe.

What are your thoughts about the above places? Any other places you would add to the list?

Would you remove any from the list? What order would you rank the above places? If we go to Carmichel, is it worth going to sugar club a different night ( or should we try somewhere completely new?

Also I heard good things about a place call hideout, but I have not been able to find any information on the web about this place?

Last question regarding the beach restaurants on the south side: which one are the best as far as the food and amenities ( restrooms, loungers,...)Nest, Dennis, Darkwood, Gibson, turner, OJ.

Any of them stay open/ serve dinner? How does the beach front and the ocean compares in the above places.

Thanks

Nick

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
569 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendation

You might want to look at Sheer Rocks - not very far from Jolly Beach. Good food and spectacular views.

sheer-rocks.com/Sheer_Rocks/sheer_rocks.html

Jane

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,227 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendation

I've answered this over on the other board, but I'll copy it here for the benefit of others!

Hi Nick,

These aren't ranked, but I think you can draw some conculsions!

East - excellent for dinner - I have to say I like Indigo (Carlisle's beachside restaurant/grill) a great deal as well.

Carmichaels - very good, and I think just worth the money. The view is gorgeous before dark, but I find having to wait for a buggy to ferry up and down a little irritating.

Sheer Rocks - this would definitely be a don't miss - do make reservations though

La Bussola - over at the beginning of Runaway Bay - good Italian, but if it were a toss up between there and the Southern Cross at Falmouth, which will have reopened by then, Falmouth would win every time for me.

Cambusa - as above. The setting is lovely, but the previous owners are going to be at Southern Cross, and I prefer their style of food

Le Bistro - still the definitive French restaurant on Antigua for me. I know it's not for everyone, but I've had some great meals there. However, given the choice for a similar meal/price, I'd head over to the Hideout.

Sugar Club - nice for lunch and perhaps a spell at the pretty pool. I wouldn't bother with dinner, but the tapas/sushi at the bar early evening is good.

Cecilias - go for lunch if you're over that way, but be prepared to drop the menu when you see the prices. The food's good - especially the Swedish dishes, but I don't think it's good value.

Hideout - over at Willoughby Bay (just by the turning down to the entrance to St James Club - this is one of my absolute favourites and I love it.

As for beach restaurants, and these are very much personal opinions, I love Darkwood (it's very rustic, but the kitchen is spotless and the lobster salad is probably the best value around) and the bathrooms are fine. Shade and loungers are avaialble. Gibsons is good, and the amenities are fine - comfortable loungers too. Lunch and dinner. I don't like the Nest at all, though it's very popular with cruise visitors. The bathrooms are in a separate block and not always open.

Dennis is good for a Sunday lunch - the ribs are fabulous, and OK for an early dinner if you want some local food - the sunset view is lovely. OJ's is always pretty reliable for supper, though I don't think it's as good as it used to be. There's also Keyonna (next door to the old Blue Heron) but I haven't eaten there since their fab chef moved on.

For a surprisingly good (and excellent value) meal, try the Akropolis (Greek) restaurant at the Jolly Castle. Within Jolly itself, the Crows Nest is fine for a poolside lunch or light supper, Mellinis is reliable for Italian and Al Porto does a reasonable pizza and pasta - they have some 2 for 1 offers that make them good value, book for these though as they can get busy.

There are also some other great choices down in English Harbour/Falmouth. I always enjoy Catherine's Cafe for lunch, and you're at the right time of year for Abra's and Mad Mongoose to be at their best. Hamilton's (within Nelson's Dockyard) is good, if a little pricey, and the beach bar at Galleon is a good bet for lunch.

I still haven't made it over to eat at Nonsuch Bay (the drive over there is just too tiresome for me), but I hear nothing but good things about it!

Hope that's some help.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendation

I've answered this question so many times I have a Microsoft Word file on the subject. If you contact me via private message, I will send it to you.

Bon appetit!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendation

HI

Will hire a car from Grand pineapple for a few days in January and we are looking for lunch so which is closest?and or recommended furthest to make our way back later after a days sight seeing?

x

Orange Beach
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendation

I would love you to message it to me! We are headed to Carlisle Bay on saturday!

http://www.ChicFamilyTravels.com

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendation

What about a list of affordable restaurants. I mean I don't mind paying a bit mor efor one or 2 nights but where are the hidden jems

Kev

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant recommendation

I think the true hidden gems are what one might almost call "street food". One Stone Ital Shack, Roti King (not exactly street food, but in the same vein), and so many others. Don't be afraid to try the local places! Especially at lunch----many local folks close a bit early.

Sometimes you will simply find someone grilling corn over a fire. If you're lucky you might find someone making barbeque. Along the road into St. John's one can often find someone selling cane---a sweet treat while stuck in traffic!

So grateful to you, Forbin, for your question. You are a true traveler who understands why we do what we do------to understand better, and live within, other cultures (while enjoying ourselves along the way). Thanks for "getting off the tour-bus" as I like to put it.

Edited: 27 November 2012, 02:59
Antigua
Level Contributor
34 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant recommendation

Cessna Pilot is absolutely bang on....

The real beauty in Antigua is where it remains true to itself - not where it tries to be all things to all people.

Local cuisine is about making great tasting food out of what might be deemed by the uninitiated as less than spectacular ingredients.

This is the true genius of all cooking.

Many people wheel out the coal pot and bbq grills to the road side on Fridays and Saturdays and wherever you see lines of locals - that's all the recommendation you need.

A few meals eaten in this style as you move around the island will certainly sustain you whilst keeping you in touch with Antigua and its people - and easily save you enough over the course of a few days to go for the blow out meal somewhere dead fancy if you still wish it.

My absolute personal favourite is Chappy's place in Urlings - known as the Sea View Lawn.

There Shenette the chef prepares a different local lunch everyday for between $10-20 EC - with dishes ranging from conch and octopus to pepperpot, fish and lobster, stewed lamb and baked and bbq chicken.

This is a no frills joint for sure but for the quality of the food at the price I struggle to find anywhere I recommend more

In order to maintain their very reasonable prices they cannot stock everything all the time so if you have a specific requests for seafood, we advise people to book in ahead of time so they can get you something extremely fresh from the Urlings Fish Market just over the road!!

9. Re: Restaurant recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 12:18