We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shirley hights info?

glasgow
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
shirley hights info?

we are are planning on a trip to shirley hights. we are not drinkers but were wondering what time the bands and stuff starts. what else happens there, is it just about the view? we will be staying at the Pineapple, is it far to drive there and easy to park?

many thanks

Peterborough, UK
Level Contributor
444 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shirley hights info?

Bands start at around 4 pm and go on until about 10 pm. Apart from the views (including a spectacular sunset, weather permitting), food and drink, and the bands there isn't much else apart from a few stalls and local vendors, but it is a REALLY good atmosphere and well worth the visit. From Grand Pineapple it is about a 30 minute drive if you know where you are going (the road signs in Antigua are not very frequent). Have a word with Joseph, Wesley or Marvin on the beach if you decide to use a taxi instead, they will sort you out.

Keith

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shirley hights info?

There is no Son et Lumiere or anything like that if that's what you mean.

{on reflection that might be a good idea if the Tourist Board could get their act together].

Nothing much starts before sunset at about 6 - 6.30. Then you have a BBQ which is quite good and a TERRIFIC steel band which gets the juices flowing almost as much as the rum. There is a sort of museum/ gift shop where you can buy the usual sort of Knick Knacks.

Personally I think it is a bit over hyped but it is good for the local economy so I will not knock it..

Distance wise the journey, according to my Google Maps is between 12 and 15 miles and should take about 25 - 30 minutes. I personally think that is more likely to be at least 30 - 35 minutes in daylight and God knows what after dark. Driving in Antigua after dark is not a great idea for a tourist who barely knows the Island. Even if you have what my mother used to call " a guid Scots tongue in your heid" it's too easy to get lost.

I STRONGLY recommend that you get a Taxi. You can always reduce the cost by teaming up with another couple at GPB.

Edited: 24 October 2012, 19:43
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
1,123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shirley hights info?

Is there a cover charge to get in? Is the BBQ a buffet or can you get a table and order off a menu?

England
Level Contributor
782 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shirley hights info?

From memory, it costs US$10 to get in, but don't take my word for that. You pay for your choice of meal at the bar, and take your token to the BBQ, where you will be served with your meat or fish plus salads. Then grab a seat where you can! Food is very tasty usually. Rum punches slip down a treat! Prices of different meats/fish vary.

Edited: 24 October 2012, 22:13
St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shirley hights info?

Cover charge is $8 US per person. Parking isn't bad, the only issue is that (from the last time I went there) there is VERY little lighting in the area on the way there, and it may be a bit difficult to navigate your way there. That being said, it's not impossible, and many other have done it.

I think pretty much everything else has been covered

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shirley hights info?

Is it worth going for the Thursday night ? - we have kids and wondered if the Thursday night version would be a little less full on ?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
1,123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shirley hights info?

What time would you recommend getting there?

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shirley hights info?

BBD - When we went there was a sort of legitimate scam (if there can be such)

Virgin offered their guests an entrance ticket for $8 that enabled you to also get one free drink (alcoholic or not)

We travelled by BA but lo and behold the taxi driver introduced us to a man outside the entrance who sold us us the Virgin ticket.

In effect we got a free drink.

The ticket was honoured and entrepreneurism won - happy days.

The BBQ food is very good - we splsahed out and had lobster and cold beer - delightful.

Obviously the whole reason to go is for the sunset which is simply stunning.

The band that play around 7 pm were brilliant and in some ways I wished we could have stayed.

We left about 8.15 to aviod traffic congestion.

As good as it is, I didn't do it the second time we went - 'seen it done it mentality'

Peterborough, UK
Level Contributor
444 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shirley hights info?

We normally get there about 5 - 5:30 pm and stay as late as possible (which could be difficult if you are in a shared taxi with other people). We haven't been on a Thursday night so cannot speak from experience but apparently they are quieter as they have only recently been started and in effect are still ramping up (according to the beach vendors).

Keith

glasgow
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: shirley hights info?

thanks guys. less than 4 weeks !!!