We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jolly Beach vs. Other Lower Priced AIs

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Jolly Beach vs. Other Lower Priced AIs

Just got back from Jolly Beach Resort and absolutely loved Antigua (review to follow) - already thinking ahead to a future trip and wondering if I should go back to Jolly Beach, or try another AI.

The AIs that come up in the price range I'm looking at are Jolly Beach, Grand Pineapple, Grand Royal Antiguan and Hawksbill. Can anyone compare and contrast these four? I wouldn't mind trying somewhere different than Jolly Beach, but would not want to downgrade.

(Beach is my #1 concern, as well as overall cleanliness of the resort and resort location).

Thanks!

England
Level Contributor
799 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jolly Beach vs. Other Lower Priced AIs

I would say forget the Royal Antiguan. Although the beach is lovely, the resort itself is apparently in a state of decline.

The Hawksbill is a lovely, older-style resort with four great beaches. Do not expect modern luxury, but a kind of faded charm. I think they have some new accommodations at one end on the beach, if my memory serves me right. Somebody else might be able to help on this. It is on the west coast within striking distance of St Johns and not too far from the west coast beaches and Jolly Beach.

Grand Pineapple has, I believe, one of the best beaches on the island, but again there is room for improvement on the accommodation, and reviews of the food and service are mixed. It has some huge fans, but others are less enamoured. It is on the east coast, and there is not too much in the local area.

It is probably best to read all the reviews, but I hope other people can give you some further insight.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jolly Beach vs. Other Lower Priced AIs

I would go for Hawksbill. 4 great beaches. Go for the cottages on the first beach The Royal Palm Beach as they have a/c.

www.antiguaforums.com/viewtopic.php…

Regards

Mark.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,859 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jolly Beach vs. Other Lower Priced AIs

I'd also agree with Hawksbill, but only if you're happy to be much more isolated than you were at JB. Same for Pineapple, which has a lovely beach (shorter, but clearer water) but is really a very long way from anything else.

Antigualover's spot on about the Royal, it used to be a great spot, and the beach is still gorgeous, but the hotel itself has long had its day, and is often near-deserted. Coconut Beach Club would be an alternative nearby and is only a short distance from the fabulous Deep Bay.

Of all of them, though, only Jolly has the advantage of being so close to other beaches, the Marina and commercial centre, which can make life a lot easier, and can save a lot on taxi fares to get to trips and shops.

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jolly Beach vs. Other Lower Priced AIs

thanks for the suggestions - oh the decisions! will keep reading reviews as each place (except Royal Antiguan) seems nice in its own way...

5. Re: Jolly Beach vs. Other Lower Priced AIs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 23:16