We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused - departure tax

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Confused - departure tax

Please can someone confirm what the situation is regarding departure tax. We have booked a last minute holiday through Thomson Worldwide who still say we need to pay $28 departure tax whilst there is other talk on this forum that says it no longer applies and is included in your airfare? What is the correct advice?

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused - departure tax

There is no longer any need to pay a Departure Tax when leaving Antigua. I believe they have even closed down the booth at the Airport and staff have been reassigned to other roles.

Since early November the government has forced the airlines to pay the old tax figure direct to the Finance Dept and the airlines have chosen to increase their fares to absorb the cost.

Thomson are completely and utterly wrong in their apparent suggestion to you.

bottom line

THE AIRLINES NOW HAVE TO PAY THE TAX THEMSELVES AND HAVE HIKED THEIR FARES TO MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE NOT OUT OF POCKET ON THE DEAL

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
522 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused - departure tax

No departure tax - we were in Antigua at the beginning of November and did not pay tax.

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused - departure tax

You are paying without realising it. And the amount has increased dramatically as the government needs to pay for the new airport somehow! I believe the amount comes to about US$75 and is passed off as arrival and departure tax.

St. Maarten-St...
Level Contributor
40 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused - departure tax

A one way to San Juan last week was US$ 250 so I would say, yes, it has spiked the ticket prices.

Surrey
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused - departure tax

We are due to depart Antigua next week and have been advised to pay $US 35 dollars each to depart. If you have departed in the last few days I should appreciate a comment re your experience. Thanks in advance

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused - departure tax

The price is included on your ticket !!!!!

There is not even a booth now to pay departure tax. This came into effect on 1st November 2012.

Regards

Mark.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused - departure tax

You are not the only one to be confused ! , Even Virgin Atlantic themselves don’t get it . Arriving in Antigua on Feb 9th, an inflight announcement asked passengers to ensure they had their USD29.00 ready for payment upon checking in for their return journey.

I was travelling with Virgin Holidays, and when the rep left my pick up time note at the hotel it also stated to ensure we had the airport tax in cash !

Checked in for return, no tax required !!!

Unbelievable.

Wallingford, CT
Level Contributor
153 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused - departure tax

Alicia, we departed twelve days ago, and no tax.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused - departure tax

we left on the 13thJan ish and no departure tax . We were with BA

My main angst was arrivals and the ridiculous form filling in which resulted in silly delays because most airlines had not given clear instructions. .It all amused me really as it resembled an English post office in the

1960s!

50s even !

where you all need a stamp on whatever form you use!

In fact when we were in English Harbour the only place we could get a stamp was at the post office!

English heritage heh?

Maybe skip this one

Also the AA airline which arrived after ours seemed to get pushed through much quicker.

Antigua's a lovely island just get the airport sorted.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,808 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused - departure tax

mattjak - the immigration form is almost the same as the UK landing form that all non-residents have to fill out on landing. As long as it's properly filled out - and there are clear instructions on the form - it's not a problem. The lines for immigration are way, way better than they were a few years ago, and baggage arrival is positively speedy by comparison!