We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Six (6) hours in transit, what can I do

Trinidad & Tobago
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Six (6) hours in transit, what can I do

I will be in transit with my daughter 12 and son 9 for six hours in early July. How much of Antigua can I see in that time? Any beaches near the airport?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Six (6) hours in transit, what can I do

Good spots near the airport would be at the Tides at Dutchmans Bay or if you want a more active spot, Dickenson would work.

However, 6 hours is more than enough to take a trip round the whole island if you want - and you could easily go down to Nelson's Dockyard and enjoy some history, or head for any of the lovely beaches for a good length of time, some swimming and a meal.

Trinidad & Tobago
Level Contributor
47 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Six (6) hours in transit, what can I do

Thank you. I'll keep it in mind during my planning.

Blackburn, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Six (6) hours in transit, what can I do

Hi, sorry to jump on the post but we have a five hour stop in transit on the homeward journey in October, what is the airport like now as i've heard horror stories from a few years ago?

Is there a lounge?

Somewhere to get your head down?

We are a group of 6/7 men, not idiots mind!

thanks

Pete

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Six (6) hours in transit, what can I do

The airport is bigger and better than it was but still not great. There is a coffee bar and shopping. Downstairs can get very crowded when all the flights leave together but there's lots of seating upstairs which is never crowded. Nowhere to lay your head down that I know of. I would not want to spend five hours there if I could avoid it. For a group that size, find a taxi - most of them are minivans anyway - and negotiate a rate for him to drive you around the island and stop at a bar on one of the beaches.

Blackburn, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Six (6) hours in transit, what can I do

Thanks for that.

We fly in from Beef Island, would we be able to check our bags in or would we need to keep them with us if we left the airport?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Six (6) hours in transit, what can I do

we stopped at Cecilia s High Point on Dutchmans bay for lunch one day and many in transit go there for amazing food, fantastic location and loungers and a lovely little bay. Will be posting a review when i readjust to work and the snow that greeted us back in the UK!

it is within 5 mins of the airport and Cecilia will book you a taxi back. Try the tempura shrimps or fab shrimp curry with fried plantain. Other superb stuff on the ever changing menu.

Edited: 15 January 2013, 17:57
7. Re: Six (6) hours in transit, what can I do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 07:18