We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Antigua mid april?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
13 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Antigua mid april?

I'm going to be in Antigua for a week with my in-laws, 2 year old, infant and husband. We will rent a villa and a car. Should we stay in Emerald Cove/Long Bay area or English Harbour/Falmouth or Jolly Harbor area? We don't want to be in crowded, touristy areas, but convenience is nice, especially given the road conditions.

We don't want to be in a windy area where we cannot sit outside on our deck and enjoy the pool, etc. Thanks

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Antigua mid april?

Are you looking for the best beaches? Emerald cove/Long Bay is better. However that area is half an hour from town, so is the least convenient.

Jolly Harbour is closest to town (10 minutes). I'm not a fan of the actual beach at Jolly, which is very long but may be too crowded for your taste. However that area of the island has the nicest beaches on the entire island (e.g., nearby Valley Church and Ffrye's).

Falmouth is very convenient to lots of things, but not too close to beaches-----though Pigeon and Galleon are close by.

I wouldn't worry too much about the wind anywhere-----well, maybe in a place like Dian Bay you may find it too windy------places that face the Atlantic tend to be windy, however I find the wind enjoyable in a hot climate.

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Antigua mid april?

All the places that you listed have their pros and cons. However, when are you coming? That makes a pretty big difference on the crowd that you'll encounter

Personally I'd say Jolly Beach area - for the same reason Cessna mentions. There are some villas at Ffryes (can't remember the name) with pool, and the price is quite decent. Not to mention, Ffyres is only a couple minutes drive from Jolly, which has a supermarket, shopping, and lots of other amentities, so there's your convenience. If you find the beach too crowded, you can always skip over to one of a half dozen beaches within 5-10 minutes drive.

3. Re: Where to stay in Antigua mid april?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 07:18