We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunscreen and bite repellant

Toronto
Level Contributor
99 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sunscreen and bite repellant

Hi,

This might be a silly question but I've never used both at the same time.

Does it matter which one you put on first? I don't want one to cancel out the other.

Thanks

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
573 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunscreen and bite repellant

We always use sunscreen first - then let that sink in for a few minutes - then apply repellent spray.

Some of our friends buy repellent lotion and mix that in with the sunscreen - but I worry that you then don't know quite how much the protection factor has been affected. There are some sunscreens on sale in the UK which include insect repellent - but I don't like the smell of them.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunscreen and bite repellant

Same here. Sunscreen first (high factor!) then repellent if it's that time of day. I only use repellent in the hour before and after dusk, and also around dawn if I'm out on the sand/grass just in case of sand flies.

Most sunscreens are designed to be used at least 30 minutes before going in the sun - it gives them time to bind to the skin. It also helps avoid that horrible oily film left of the surface of pools by people who insist on slathering on cream and then getting straight into the water.

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunscreen and bite repellant

It won't be that much of an issue - sunscreen during the day, from 8 am to about 5 pm. The bugs don't really come out until dusk, when the sun begins to set. If you are outside at that time, you will DEFINITELY want to put on some insect repellent. But by that time, you should already be all "beached out", and the sun will be going down anyway!

4. Re: Sunscreen and bite repellant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Antigua