We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antigua or Grenada?

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Antigua or Grenada?

It's probably been asked a few times before, but my husband and I are already looking into destinations for next winter and we've narrowed it down to one of these two islands.

We're a couple in our forties and we like a nice beach, preferably within walking distance, as well as beiing able to walk to a one or more restaurants or beach bars. Besides that, we're not the All Inclusive kind of people, but like to explore on our own. We like to do some sightseeing, drive around, maybe on or two excursions (sailng? ) We've been to Mexico, Costa Rica, Cuba and also to St. Lucia and Barbados (we liked Barbados better than St. Lucia).

What island (Antigua or Grenada) do you prefer and why? In regards to prices of food, groceries, car rental, which one is more expensive?

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antigua or Grenada?

This probably isn't too helpful, but we like them both and think both would meet most of the "wants" on your list. I don't think the price of food or car rental would differ much either. Airfare could be your biggest difference as Grenada is quite a bit further south so could be more expensive. Grenada is "lusher" than Antigua and more mountainous. For those reasons, we found it more picturesque. We also thought the capital of Grenada (St. George's) was more interesting and prettier than the capital of Antigua (St. John's). Grand Anse Beach in Grenada is beautiful and if you stayed in that area you could definitely walk to bars and restaurants. Where Antigua would have a big advantage would be the ease of driving. We drove in Antigua and found it quite reasonable. We didn't drive in Grenada, but I think it would quite a bit more challenging just because the island is more mountainous so the roads hug the coast and twist and turn up and down way more than in Antigua. Antigua also probably has a larger selection of beautiful beaches.

Edited: 09 February 2013, 18:41
UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,786 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antigua or Grenada?

You'd find the terrain in Grenada closer to St Lucia, and in Antigua, more like Barbados. Some of the roads up in the rain forest can be a little nerve-racking for sure, but we have some pretty spectacular potholes on Antigua too!

There are definitely more choices of where to stay in Antigua, especially if you want to be within walking distance of a beach or two and places to eat, and the driving is certainly easier, but I'd agree the scenery in Grenada is certainly more spectacular, and St Georges beats St Johns hands down any day as capital cities go.

Grenada is wetter, and can be a lot more humid, which makes a difference in the summer months. I think the local sailing is better in and around Antigua, but the sightseeing is perhaps more interesting up in the mountains on Grenada.

Antigua has more beaches, Grenada has waterfalls.

There's no big difference in shopping and rental costs, so it might be down to looking at air fares (there are way more flights into Antigua) and some properties and seeing if something really appeals to you.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antigua or Grenada?

thank you, very helpful information from both of you! It may a bit of a touchy subject, but how about friendliness of the local people ? I think that's one of the reasons we really liked Barbados, everyone was very friendly and helpful!

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antigua or Grenada?

We didn't see any difference between the two in terms of friendliness. People in both countries can be a tad reserved compared to, say, Jamaicans, but we never encountered any rudeness or unfriendliness. We felt quite welcome and safe in both countries.

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
516 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antigua or Grenada?

We've visited both Grenada (twice) and Antigua (twice). Both islands are pretty unspoilt and interesting to tour round. We've done guided tours in Antigua, and done both that and hired a car in Grenada.

A word of warnng - maps of Grenada are not necessarily totally reliableand road signs can be non-existant! That was when we found out how friendly and helpful the local people were............. as we had to keep stopping and asking for directions. (The policeman in one particular town was especially nice when we drove past him for the 3rd time trying to find the right road off a tortuous one way system on market day!)

In terms of cost - I really don't think there's much to choose between the islands.

Whichever you choose you'll have a great holiday - and you can always go to the other island the following year.

6. Re: Antigua or Grenada?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 06:18