We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Bay

Dunedin, Florida
Level Contributor
305 posts
210 reviews
Save Topic
Long Bay

Is there public access to Long Bay beach and are there any facilities there for the public such as chairs for rent and showers? We already have snorkel gear and just want to rent some chairs, snorkel, and get some lunch. We'd like to go there after visiting Nelson's Dockyard while in Antigua for our cruise but don't want to pay for a full day pass at the Grand Pineapple when we will be there half a day. Thanks!

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Bay

Yes, there is indeed public access to Long Bay, and there are vendors who rent chairs (though a bit fuzzy on the showers!) There are also a couple of decent restaurants, so it's definitely a good choice.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,805 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Bay

No showers, but the rest is there. It's likely to be busy on a cruise ship day.

Sechelt, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Bay

Just back and loved our visit to Long Bay. There's a restaurant and chair/umbrella rental right at the public beach access -we drove ourselves but minivans full of cruise ship passengers were delivered to that spot. The restaurant/chair rental actually has an outdoor shower tucked away in a corner by the rocks and seemed very open to having those renting access the shower and their washrooms.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Bay

What days are the "cruise ship days". We are looking into buying a day pass for Grand Pineapple but want to avoid the crowds.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,805 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Bay

cruise ship schedule here: www.antiguanice.com/v2/client.php?id=618

I have to admit I wouldn't bother with a day pass to GPB. There are nicer places to eat on Long Bay, and watersports are available from the beach vendors. The whole of the beach is public, so you're only gaining access to the pool.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Bay

Thanks Mizgeorge. I just posted my questions on the Antigua forum page too.

I am trying to figure out if the $55-65 per person day pass would be cheaper than eating, drinking, renting water sports equipment and lounge chairs on our own individually. I like the idea of all included but if it's cheaper to do it on our own that's even better.

Thanks for the cruise ship schedule link. Checking it out now.

7. Re: Long Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 06:17