We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach for children

London, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Best beach for children

What would be some of the best beaches for toddlers - 2.5 years old? Looking for something that is generally calm in late December, shallow with a gradual entry, little waves, etc. We'd prefer something that is not super busy and also has some sort of amenities, like a beach restaurant or restrooms, etc. Is Dickenson Bay good or is it way too busy?

Also, would we be safe renting a private home or is a resort a better option?

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach for children

Long Bay is a perfect beach for small children, lovely sand, gentle slope and unless there is a major storm out at sea the waves are very gentle. I think a private home is a nice option with small children as they can be fed and put to bed/woken up at times that are convenient to you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach for children

Blue Waters has three beaches which, whilst not large, have very calm waters (it's located in Soldiers Bay) making it ideal for swimming with children.

I've actually stayed at the resort with my family and preferred it to renting privately, for kids there's a children's pool and activities (babysitting available if you fancy a night to yourselves) whilst the resort itself is family run and very relaxed.

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach for children

I like Long Bay as well - towards the right side, it's very shallow, and protected by the reef, so is great for small children. There are also a couple of restuarants on the beach.

Renting a private home is just about as safe as renting at a resort - although that may depend, in part, where the private home is located! That being said, Antigua is generally a safe island anyway

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,781 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach for children

Long Bay, or the Verandah are both good in terms of the beach. Dickenson less so, and yes, it is a very busy beach. The beaches down at English Harbour / Falmouth can also be a real option.

I have to disagree, though, about resort stays with small children and would always recommend a rental. You can eat to your own timetable, get the food they like, have a great deal more space for them and more. I'm not a fan of kids clubs for young children - I always thought going on holiday was to spend time with them rather than try to park them in a nursery environment - and if you want babysitting, there's a first rate service, with trained and qualified sitters available from Swalings. My only exception to this would be Carlisle Bay - but that is at the top end of most budgets.

The other option would be half way between the two - somewhere like the Catamaran Hotel at Falmouth, which allows you to self-cater as you wish, with hotel ameneties also available, as well as it's own small, safe beach and easy access to all the interesting things that go on in Falmouth / English Harbour in the winter season.

London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach for children

I disagree that you cant eat to your own timetable. Yes there are set times for meals, however at many of the Caribbean resorts I've stayed in there is a menu that can be enjoyed at any time day or night, and the majority of the time it's part of their all-inclusive plan.

Regarding children's clubs in my experience children might not want to go into town or visit historical sites, it's not a case of parking them in a nursery, it's offering them the chance to enjoy their holiday and make new friends, I know at age 9 i would rather be playing in the pool than visiting the local town.

I can also say that in all of the resorts I've visited in the Caribbean the babysitting staff are fully trained and excellent with children. Why not take a night out as a couple knowing the little ones are in safe hands?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach for children

Thanks for the replies. We have found two homes we really like. One is in the Ffryes area near Jolly Beach and Ffryes beach, and the other is right near Long Bay. The one near Jolly beach has a pool which is nice, as well as air conditioning. The one near Long Bay is much closer to the beach (a couple minutes vs 10 minutes - walking), but there is no pool or air conditioning. The lack of pool is not a huge deal as we're there for the beach mainly, but it's also a bonus with a young child. I'm wondering if the lack of AC at the house on LB will be an issue though? They said they are trade winds and ceiling fans, screens on the windows, etc. Would that be enough?

And mainly, which area would be better for us? We will definitely rent a car to explore other beaches either way. Our main priorities are a nice, generally calm, safe beach for our son, not too busy, with a few amenities such as a washroom, maybe a restaurant as well.

Thanks so much!

7. Re: Best beach for children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 04:15