We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insect repellant

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Insect repellant

Dear all,

we are going to Jolly Beach in July. Can you please recommend insect repellants, either plug-in, rub-on or spray that worked for you (need to be available in UK).

thanks

Cardiff, UK
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insect repellant

Hi Grimmie

We are taking Jungle rub on, which contains DEET, which is said to be very effective against mosquitos; someone else wrote that a product on sale in Antigua called "Off" was very good against sand flies.

Jungle is currently on offer in Boots at I think 3 for the price of 2 - this is not a plug - I do NOT work for them !!

Enjoy your trip - we have stayed at Jolly Beach before and what a superb beach !

Beachandsea

Lake District, UK
Level Contributor
851 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insect repellant

If you're going to Boots, check out their own brand sun creams. They do one that contains insect repellant for during the day on the beach. That's not a prime time to be bitten, (dusk is the worst) but it doesn't take any extra effort either.

Portsmouth, England
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insect repellant

Superdrug have £2 off Jungle Repellants at the moment.

Also, buy one get one free on suntan lotions. Don't know if they do one with repellant in though.

west wales
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insect repellant

Hi Went to Antigua in April/May Don't waste your money here buy a can of Off when you arrive it will be available in your resort it was 10 USD in Cocobay (probably cheaper in St Johns.) it is all you need against mozzies and sand flies which bite around 5p.m. Off is non sticky and smells pleasant un-like the Boots repellants I took with me from the UK waste of time and money. Jolly Harbour is a lovely resort with a supermarket. Take a Caribbean helicopter flight from Jolly Harbour either round the Island or better still over Montserrat FANTASTIC!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
136 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insect repellant

Hello all,

I am a TA employee, and through the nominations submitted, this thread was brought to my attention. First, many compliments on the excellent material submitted here.

Second, I just wanted to let everyone know that I took my first shot at preserving this information in a format that will allow you to link to it without always having to "bump" it to the top. This is with our new TripAdvisor Inside feature, where anyone can edit and update information.

The page is here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147242-c3273/Antigua…

To see (and edit/create) more Antigua pages, go here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147242-s1/Antigua:Ca…

Again, this first pass was meant to be exactly that ... a first pass. From here, it's up to you to update and maintain the information, and add things I missed from the thread!!! :-)

Have a great day!

Wales
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Insect repellant

I went with 15 others to the JB and got bitten!! i tried a bit of everyones and it didnt work - so i bought some local repellant from the supermarket and it worked - sorry cant remember the name - i did get bitten about 2 more times for the rest of the 7 days but not as much as before. The reps say dont use the jungle formula as the mossies & sand flies love the taste.......

7. Re: Insect repellant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 12:21