We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antigua Beach Bars

East Coast, US
Level Contributor
59 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Antigua Beach Bars

A small group of us will be visiting Antigua for a week in late April. We will be staying at Nonsuch Bay. In addition to many other things, we'd really like to find the quintessential beach bar while we're there. Something like Uncle Roddy's or the Pink Sand Bar on Barbuda. Do little hole-in-the-wall beach bars like this exist on Antigua?

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antigua Beach Bars

What comes to mind are Darkwood Beach Bar. Just around the corner from them would be OJ's at Crab Hill. Bumpkins at Pidgeon Beach. Although not quite on he beach I would include Smilin Harry's at Halfmoon Bay.

Pensioners Corner.

You would need a car though as Nonsuch Bay is a remote location. Smilin Harry's would be the closest of those named.

Regards

Mark.

Edited: 29 March 2013, 16:36
England
Level Contributor
868 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antigua Beach Bars

I would second Smilin Harry's. Nearest to you and authentic.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antigua Beach Bars

I agree with Smilin Harry's, great little beach shack on Halfmoon Bay. If you really want a hole in the wall beach shack (directly on the beach) check out Candyland on Fort James Beach. Its down the hill from Russell's Restaurant. It's not much to look at, but Candy (former beauty queen by the way, lol) made the best rum punch on the island IMO, we had some great conversation with the locals there and she ended up charging us like $2.50 US for drinks when we returned the following days.

The memories....can't wait to get back to the island!!!

Waterford, NY
Level Contributor
656 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Antigua Beach Bars

A vote for Dennis' above Ffrye's beach. Hardly a dive, but certainly a classic Caribbean bar with great views down to two beaches. Good music, too!

East Coast, US
Level Contributor
59 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antigua Beach Bars

Thanks, all. That's exactly the information I was looking for. I foresee a couple of wasted afternoons in my future!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Antigua Beach Bars

Glad to see that Candyland and Candy are still alive and kicking. Was on Antigua with a cruise about 10 or so years ago and wandered down to Candyland from Miller's. The three of us did not have any money with us, but Candy said we were good for it, telling us to help ourselves to beer. We walked back up the beach to get our wives and they were shocked someone would give credit. We all went back to Candyland and had a great afternoon. An old fashioned composition note book was the register - put a tick mark on your page for a beer, and square up when you are done - the old fashioned way. Going back to Antigua this spring, and looking forward to a return visit. As you said, barely a shack, but a good time.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Antigua Beach Bars

how far would it be to walk to Darkwood or OJ's from Stoney Hill apartments?

8. Re: Antigua Beach Bars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 05:18