We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked Grand Pineapple

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Booked Grand Pineapple

Just wanted to say me and hubby have booked to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary here in Oct and cant wait, the beach looks amazing. Can anyone tell me what the snorkelling is like from this beach please ?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked Grand Pineapple

You're in luck. Long Bay is one of the few beaches with reasonable snorkelling straight from the beach. The best is at the opposite end to your resort, but it's only a few minutes' walk. Head straight out near the end of the beach and round the headland.

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked Grand Pineapple

Fantastic, thank you : )

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked Grand Pineapple

Durie - I can be a bit more specific. As you stand on the beach looking to sea - head as far right as you can go.Enter the water at this location and head out to sea for about 50 - 60 yards and you will see the colour of the sea change. There is a massive brain coral here and there is reasonable snorkelling to be had.

I don't know the names of the fish but some looked like juvenile barracuda ( 2- 3 feet in length), Angel fish and lots of other types.

You could also try the area in front of the tropical waterfront rooms (Nos 500) on the site map generally the sea area beyond the bar. There were loads of small fish here.

The hotel provide,masks ,snorkels and fins (flippers). The question of hygiene is only one you can answer when you see the equipment. We took our own masks and snorkel.

I am no Jacques Cousteau,but enjoyed the snorkelling. There is also a strong current that you need to be aware of - it pulled us from the far right of the beach towards the tropical waterfront area.

I was surprised how strong it was. The water is shallow for a long way out so every now and then i would stand up to orientate myself.

If you have seen the film Open water - you will understand me!

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked Grand Pineapple

Thanks stevenc4874, we do have our own snorkels so will be bringing these though we may borrow the fins . I like the fact you can walk a far way out so thats a good sign, though not to sure about Open Water film, didnt they get eaten by a shark ??? lol We have a good underwater camera as well so should hopefully get some good pictures. Is it worth doing a catamaran ??

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked Grand Pineapple

Durie - The Open Water reference was about how strong the current was - didn't mean to imply you'd get eaten by sharks!

The water was clear enough for underwater photos when we went but is affected by storms etc.

6. Re: Booked Grand Pineapple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 06:15