We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mango Bay

Lee-on-the-Solent...
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mango Bay

Hi, I hope someone can help me. In 1999 my husband and I had a holiday at a Hotel called Mango Bay. It was fairly expensive, set in its own harbour and had recently been refurbished. It didnt have much of a beach but had a lovely beach across the harbour that you could be taken to in a little boat and you had to raise a flag when you wanted to come back. I cant even remember what part of the island it was at. Anyway I am try to find out what it is called now so that we can go back. Does anyone know?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mango Bay

Mango Bay no longer exists. I believe the site is being redeveloped at the moment. It's a shame, as I also thought it was a lovely little spot - located on Dian Bay - next to Long Bay.

The beach you're thinking of used to be called Lovers Beach, and is now part of the Verandah resort - though you probably wouldn't recognise it as they cleared a lot of mangrove to create a second (man-made) beach for the resort.

Lee-on-the-Solent...
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mango Bay

Yes, thats right I rememer it being called Lovers Beach now, thank you.

Southport, England
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mango Bay

Do you know who owns the site? I have just returned from the verandah and the hotel you are talking about looks like its just been boarded up and left for sometime? Thanks.

Edited: 18 August 2013, 14:02
UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mango Bay

A local Bargain Centre family bought it ages ago, supposedly to develop it, but as usual nothing has happened and it just deteriorates.

Agawam, MA
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mango Bay

Before it was Mango Bay Resort it was a very small, but very nice, resort called Banana Cove. It was destroyed by hurricane Luis in 1995. Subsequently it was remade into Mango Bay Resort. Too bad that it is now dormant - it was a lovely little spot and Dion Bay was very tranquil. I miss it very much.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mango Bay

Well, sort of, sunseaandfood. The place has had many incarnations since it was first developed (it was formerly a private residence) in 1978.

Long, long before it was Mango Bay or Banana Cove, it was Dian Bay Resort, which was totally condominiums that could be rented from the owners. The old manor-house served as the restaurant, and it had the most beautiful, old-Caribbean atmosphere. It also served as a "neighborhood bar" for those who live on Dian Point (technically, Dumm's Point)

That restaurant burned to the ground in 1989, and the re-build had a very sterile atmosphere. To my mind, that was the beginning of the end for that resort.....when the neighbors stop going (and these places need the locals to sustain them through the off-season) places have fatal problems.

It has had many, many owners since 1985. This has included selling time-shares....a total disaster.....to the more recent owners who around the mid-1990's bought out most of the condominium owners and converted the condos into basic hotel rooms.

As to "Lovers' Beach" Mizgeorge sure has it right-----it is a man-made beach now and unrecognizable as the pristine strip of sand it once was.

Interestingly at Mango/Banana/Dian Bay Resort, there are still 2 hold-outs from the old days, one of whom is a woman who will turn 95 on December 20th. Through all these decades, she has refused to sell her condo (as has another couple who own 2 units). Over the course of all these years various owners/managers have done everything.....including cutting off her water, her electric, etc. Yet through all that, this elderly lady stood her ground.

So, throughout all of these various incarnations of Mango, Banana (after Banana Cove, it was actually turned back into Mango again) was this nice elderly lady (and the other couple). So maybe there is hope that this old resort will somehow get back on its feet. Although of course it's possible the owners are just waiting out the inevitable, since the lady in question is so elderly.

I'd sure like to see something done with it, but frankly it used to look over at the pristine National Park which was taken over by Verandah, so now anyone going to any new resort that opens there gets to look at the little white boxes on the hillside that are Verandah.

I dislike Verandah intensely, because it was, to the best of my knowledge and belief (since I was there at the time), built upon land which was given for the use of the people of Antigua by the Mellon family. I would also note that Verandah Resort, through their lawyers and through postings made on TripAdvisor, threatened me with legal action for criticizing their practices.

Personally, I wouldn't want to stay at a place that feels the need to try to intimidate its critics. If the place is that great, it can stand criticism.

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mango Bay

Well said Cessnapilot!!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mango Bay

Hi, we stayed there too, but in 1998. We all really enjoyed it, and like you, remember the little boat that would take you across the bay. The food was amazing. I remember the owner was staying there too with his family, and told us they owned the Mango Bay in Barbados too. Maybe get in touch with them to find out what the little gem in Antigua is now called ? Good luck !

London
Level Contributor
90 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mango Bay

The 'little gem in Antigua' is now just a ruin.

Lee-on-the-Solent...
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Mango Bay

Susie, it was actually August 1998 we were there, I had 1999 in my mind because I remembered I was newly pregnant at the time and spent a lot of the time in the room being ill and Zoe was born in 1999 thats why I thought it was 1999. What month were you there?

Get answers to your questions about Antigua