We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Antigua

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First Time to Antigua

My wife and I are going to Antigua for the first time in October. We are staying at St. James Club for 6 days and it is all inclusive. Just wonder what we should definitely do during our time there. We are in our upper 20's with no children, and like do everything; beach day, museums/history, active (sports, fishing, hiking), taking in the culture, etc. We are middle class, so not looking to break the bank. Here are just some general questions, but please add any information.

1.) Deep Sea Fishing; but not spend a ton on a private charter. Any suggestions.

2.) Beaches; What are the best beaches to go to?

3.) Restaurants; we are going for our anniversary so would like to know places to definitely go.

4.) Fun Bars; We aren't into the club scene, like to have a good time.

5.) Activities; Bungee Jumping, Wind Surfing, Scuba Diving, Hang Gliding, etc. Anything like that on the island?

6.) Must See's; Sights, Museums, Buildings?

Thanks

England
Level Contributor
839 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to Antigua

I can offer suggestions on some of your questions, but not all, so here goes:

2. Beaches: I would suggest hiring a car for some of your time there, and going to Half Moon Bay on the east coast, and to the chain of beaches on the south-west coast, i.e. Darkwood, Ffryes, Jolly Beach etc. Also try Galleon Beach in English Harbour - lovely outdoor restaurant in the middle of the beach there, called Calabash, for lunch.

3. Restaurants: if you are going all inclusive, do you want to spend more money on eating out? At that time of year, I am not sure if the local-ish restaurants in English Harbour will be open. There is a very good restaurant just up the road from SJC called Hideout - you will see it on the left as you approach the resort, but again I am not sure if it will be open in October. Or you could make a journey to Sheer Rocks at Cocobay resort on the west coast for your anniversary, but it is not an easy or quick road there at night.

4. Fun bars - again, I am not sure what is open in October, but you could take a look at the Mad Mongoose, Temo Sports bar, Skullduggery at the weekends, all in English Harbour. Other than that area, there is nothing near SJC. On the resort, the Docksider bar has music most evenings and is a pleasant place to hang out.

5. There is zip-lining, swimming with stingrays, scuba diving available. Also, a great day out is one of the circumnavigation trips by boat, which generally include snorkelling. I think there is windsurfing on the north coast.

6. Definitely go to Nelson's Dockyard - you are about 10 mins. drive away. Well worth a visit. Also Shirley Heights, preferably on Sunday evening if you want to hear some good music and enjoy a barbecue.

A good resource is a website called antiguanice. Have a look at that for more ideas.

Edited: 30 July 2013, 12:31
2. Re: First Time to Antigua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 05:19