We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single female travelling to Antigua - where to stay?

Columbia, Missouri
2 posts
Save Topic
Single female travelling to Antigua - where to stay?

Hi,

My best friend is getting married in Jamaica in March, and I figured if I'm going to have to fly down to the Caribbean I might as well make a vacation out of it. I'm not really interested in Jamaica, so after some research I decided to fly to Antigua for a week before heading to Jamaica for the wedding. My main reason for picking Antigua is because I really want to see Montserrat. I thought about staying on Montserrat the whole time, but it seems like there are better beaches and more to do on Antigua, so I think I may just spend one night on Montserrat and the rest of the time on Antigua. I am female and will probably be traveling alone. I don't want an all-inclusive or family type resort, but I also don't want anything too secluded. I'd like to be near fun day and night-time activities where I can feel safe taking a taxi or driving myself back to the hotel by myself after dark. The main activities I'd like to do are to explore historical sights and hiking as well as do the normal beach holiday stuff - snorkeling and vegging on the beach. I've done some research, but I honestly don't know what part of the island to stay on! I will rent a car for at least a day or two to drive around the island and check everything out, but it would be nice to have a lot of options for activities close to where I'm staying. What area/accommodations would you all suggest? Also, any must-do activities? Thanks!

Columbia, Missouri
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Single female travelling to Antigua - where to stay?

I forgot to mention that I am a vegetarian. Will I have trouble finding restaurants that have vegetarian options? I plan to cook a lot of my own food, but I would like to dine out at least some of the time if possilble.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single female travelling to Antigua - where to stay?

If you're coming down in March, then I'd recommend staying down at English Harbour / Falmouth. Lots of great historical sights and some nice hikes, but also very much the centre of life during the high season with the yachts in town. If you're looking for something on a budget, you'll need to book relatively early as there is high demand for rooms for crew, but I'd happily recommend any of the following:

The Catamaran Hotel - http://www.catamaran-antigua.com/ - this would be my first choice

The Ocean Inn - http://www.theoceaninn.com/

the cottage at the Reef Gardens (NOT the main rooms, which have shared bathrooms) - reef-gardens-antigua.com/Reef/Welcome.html

There are also a number of good apartment/cottage options, but you may find some of these too secluded, or not providing enough amenities if you're on your own.

You might want to read this trip report from a lovely lady who 'did' Montserrat and Antigua this year and posted some great pictures as well.

www.antiguaforums.com/viewtopic.php…

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single female travelling to Antigua - where to stay?

Vegetarian is not a problem at all, and I can't think of a restaurant that isn't happy to make something special for you if you prefer to go off-menu. If you do opt for Falmouth, you must try the ital (rasta) food from One Stone at Cobbs Cross (walkable).

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single female travelling to Antigua - where to stay?

MizGeorge is right - English Harbour will have a lot to do in March, is very safe, and is on a busy bus route, meaning that it will be easy to get around.

A couple other suggestions would be Anchorage Rooms, good rooms for a great price (If you're not looking for anything fancy) and the perfect place to meet new people.

It's a stone's throw away from Nelson's Dockyard, one of the most well known (and well developed) historical sites in Antigua.

You are within walking distance (10-15 easy minutes) of Pigeon Beach, and you can take a water taxi to Galleon.

If you rent a car, you could perhaps visit half moon bay as well.

If you're going to Montserrat, perhaps you can tack on a day or two. While Montserrat is DEFINITELY quieter, there will be a few things to do that you may want to take an extra day.

My recommendation would be, about 2-3 days in Montserrat, but that you definitely want to spend the weekend (Thursday -Sunday) in Antigua.

Cheers

5. Re: Single female travelling to Antigua - where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 05:16