We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any recommendations for a guest house or small hotel

LONDON
Level Contributor
299 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Any recommendations for a guest house or small hotel

Hi all, we have air miles to use up so don't need a package deal. Can anyone recommend a guest house, preferably one that does breakfast and evening meal.

We stayed at Hawksbill a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it, but its a bit pricey for us this time round and you get a better deal if you do it as a package.

My husband thinks we may have to do the USA as this is going to work out expensive trying to do it ourselves.

I would prefer Antigua, so if anyone has stayed in a guest house or reasonable priced hotel, (not looking for 5* something basic.) love to hear from you.

The reason i said Half board is, it may add a lot to the cost if we ate out in restaurants every night, and i don't do cooking on my hols. lol.

I did see a link on here to some budget hotels, which sounded great, but i couldn't find one that did food.

Thanks in advance

LONDON
Level Contributor
299 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any recommendations for a guest house or small hotel

Come on guys, please help, still waiting for replies.

found a couple of bed and breakfast small hotel/apartments but they have few reviews and the reviews range drastically.

Just looking for a nice clean basic b and b. We have decided to hire a car for 2 weeks so probably don't have to have dinner, restaurant on site would be a bonus. Would prefer one close to beach, but would still be interested if in town.

Sombody out there must have stayed in a small hotel and booked direct.

Thanks in advance

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any recommendations for a guest house or small hotel

It's hard, without knowing what you're actually looking at, to make recommendations on this one. There are some nice smaller hotels, but not necessarily with a restaurant. The huge majority of people coming on a budget opt for a villa - often at Jolly Harbour - simply because of the sheer amount of space you get for the same price as a basic room. You don't have to cook if you don't want to - there are lots of places to eat in the area for all meals. Check www.typicallytropicalvillas.com for an idea of what they're like.

The Catamaran at Falmouth might be a good option - but may be too expensive.

I'd have suggested Inn la Galleria, which I think might be just what you want (it's not far from Hawksbill), but no onsite restaurant. Same goes for Stoneyhill. For a slightly more basic option, 3martini might have been an alternative, but again, no breakfast served.

In honesty, I don't think I'd opt for two weeks at one of the b&b's in town - noise, traffic and security can all be issues - and they're not IMO really aimed at holidaymakers.

Your other option might be to see if you can get a B&B deal somewhere like Rex Halcyon. It's fairly basic, but right on the beach and is one of the few resorts that still isn't fully AI.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any recommendations for a guest house or small hotel

Well what is your budget/rate per night ?

LONDON
Level Contributor
299 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any recommendations for a guest house or small hotel

Hi thank you both for your replies.

Mizgeorge the La Galleria Inn is one i have been looking at, its a good price about £25.00 per night for a double room. that does also include breakfast., so maybe that's changed. My worry is very mixed reviews. some thinks is awful and others rave about it. I do know that is the case with every where.

As we are doing this ourselves i won't be able to complain to a travel company if its awful, dirty ect. so i really want to make the right choice.

Photoman our budget would be between £25.00 - £50.00 a night per double room. Sorry not sure what that is in dollars.

I didn't think about looking at a villa for two, thought it may be a bit pricey, but thanks for the link i will definitely check it out. Yes, we didn't really want to stay in town, we do love the beaches and would like to be near a nice one.

Thank you.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any recommendations for a guest house or small hotel

Try this for some good info on Inn La Galleria - www.antiguaforums.com/viewtopic.php… - I think this was at least the 2nd trip there from the poster there.

LONDON
Level Contributor
299 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any recommendations for a guest house or small hotel

Thank you Miz george, just had a look at the villas, they were really nice. Modern and spacious, a little more expensive than the small hotels but i can see why. That, gives us something to think about. lol.

The galleria pics were very helpful, . It looks like a nice place and its a very good price.

Thank you. You have been really helpful.

Yateley, UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any recommendations for a guest house or small hotel

I am sat in a villa right now. Stayed first night at the Ocean Inn .. Which was fine but a little dated. The villa we are in is about £25 more a night than the Ocean ... But what a difference! I would go with a small villa every time.

LONDON
Level Contributor
299 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any recommendations for a guest house or small hotel

Thanks for reply Pete, since Mizgeorge recommended a villa i have been looking at them and i must say i'm spoilt for choice. I think we will defo go with that.

Enjoy your holiday.

9. Re: Any recommendations for a guest house or small hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 05:16