We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative options to Cocobay Resort for Wedding

McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative options to Cocobay Resort for Wedding

My fiance and I are looking to have our wedding in Antigua next March and while we love Cocobay Resort, it's a bit spendy for the parents and our friends. In looking at TA, it looks like most of the other hotels are either a LOT more expensive, or a LOT cheaper than Cocobay.

Could anyone give me any other recommendations of nice hotels for a wedding that are reasonably priced? We would prefer all-inclusive, but if they have a good selection of restaurants on property, or within close walking distance, we would definitely consider those, as well.

Or if we do choose to go with Cocobay, any recommendations of hotels that aren't too far of a drive (I know it's a small island, but don't want everyone spending a lot of time to and from in a rental car or taxi) that are less expensive?

Any help would be appreciated!

We'll be staying for 2 weeks arriving on Feb 27 and hopefully getting married on March 2.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,075 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative options to Cocobay Resort for Wedding

I would stay with Cocobay - it's such a lovely location for a wedding, and a really romantic spot. If it's beyond some budgets, or if there is anyone wanting to bring younger guests, Jolly Beach Resort is just five minutes down the road (and is also all inclusive) or if some really want to save some money, the villas at Jolly Harbour are amazing value as they can sleep four people in comfort, with full kitchen, living room and waterfront patio. Lots of places to eat and drink in the marina complex, so no problem if people want to eat out, and an excellent supermarket on site as well as shops, banks and pharmacy.

I'm actually a big fan of having guests staying elsewhere - it's your big day and I've seen too many brides worrying about looking after friends and relations rather than concentrating on having the best time for themselves. It also gives you a bit more private time in the days following the wedding - which can be a nice bonus!

McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative options to Cocobay Resort for Wedding

Thanks for the suggestion!

We were going to go with that, but after trying to sort out bookings with Cocobay and receiving less than stellar service, I think we'll be looking for a new venue. :(

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,075 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative options to Cocobay Resort for Wedding

Were you dealing direct with the resort or with their booking agents? I've found in the past that if you speak to the people actually at the resort, they are far more helpful than the toll-free numbers.

If you want to look for somewhere else in the same sort of area, you might want to consider Cocos, Sugar Ridge or an upgraded room at Jolly Beach itself.

McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative options to Cocobay Resort for Wedding

It was initially with the booking agents via email, so I thought I'd email the wedding contact email hoping to get someone that is more willing to help since it involves a wedding and a 2-week stay, but the Assistant Manager replied and her response wasn't much better than the sales agents.

Thanks for the suggestions! We'll take a look at your other suggestions, and we're also now looking at the BVI and St Lucia as well.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative options to Cocobay Resort for Wedding

Also forgot to say, we renewed our wedding vows in st Lucia last year, at the coconut bay and whilst we really loved it and were treated like royalty there, I wish we had waited for the verandah...... Nothing to fault with coconut bay, but the verandah was such a beautiful resort and much more of a romantic feel....

Good luck..

Edited: 21 November 2013, 07:31
yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative options to Cocobay Resort for Wedding

Have a look at the verandah, we stayed there in April/May time and saw several weddings on the beach and they were very beautifully decorated. It's quite a romantic place with the little white semi detached bungalows rather than a hotel block as such.... Each bungalow has a name - ours was Mauritius.... And the views are picture perfect especially if you upgrade to a seafront or seaview room.....

All your guests can stay there quite comfortably.

Personally, if I was getting married - I would not want my guests staying else where. You could email the hotel direct....

Happy planning!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative options to Cocobay Resort for Wedding

My 5 and 6 posts sent themselves the wrong way around .....

McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternative options to Cocobay Resort for Wedding

Thanks so much ppmaiden! The Verandah was our second choice for Antigua, but their website says that they will not do weddings on weekends or public holidays and our date is a Sunday. I may give them a call to see if that's completely set in stone or if there is any chance we can get the date we want. It will also have to do with what hotels are close that are less expensive as a few family members are on tight budgets but we don't want to completely exclude them because of the price.

Coconut Bay on St Lucia is actually the latest front runner in the list. I'm just waiting to hear back from them. :)

Thanks for the great info!!!

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternative options to Cocobay Resort for Wedding

Hi- what resort did you end up going with? We are planning our wedding for May 2015 and I am trying to narrow down the resorts and send notification to everyone so they have some time putting some money away. We have a rather large wedding party and I want to make it affordable for everyone. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Right now, I have Curtain Bluff and St. James Club at the top of my list.

McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alternative options to Cocobay Resort for Wedding

Hi,

We ended up going with Coconut Bay in St Lucia as they had a much better deal and we got a great deal for our room.

We booked through cheaptickets.com and we're able to get 2 weeks on the Jr Suite Ocean View for about half of the basic cottage at Cocobay, not to mention because of our room type , our wedding is free.

The flight prices were just about the same for everyone going, and the rooms were less expensive so no one has to stay off property.

Our wedding is the beginning of March. If you want any more info, drop me an email. So far everything we've done for the wedding is super easy and our wedding coordinator is great!

Get answers to your questions about Antigua