We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cocobay or Sugar Ridge?

München
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cocobay or Sugar Ridge?

Dear Forum,

my girlfriend and I have never been to Antigua and we can't decide between

Cocobay Resort (all inclusive, standard room)

and

Sugar Ridge (breakfast only, deluxe with plunge pool)

I think in both cases we get a rental car for exploring Antigua on our own :-)

Is Sugar Ridge far away from the Valley Church Beach (I couldn't find the exact location in Google Maps of Sugar Ridge)?

And more important: Which resort would you book and why?

We can't really decide, because both hotels look like paradise, maybe you can help us?

Bye :)

Baldock, United...
Level Contributor
845 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cocobay or Sugar Ridge?

Cocobay has a fantastic location and is beachfront. Lovely beaches to walk and sit on. Food wonderful with again gorgeous location overlooking sea. The resort is very romantic.

Sugar Ridge I know is a good resort but is set back off the road and is not really close to the beach although I think they have a shuttle. I think the food is good and as the resort is set up the hill the views are quite good.

Personally I do not think you can beat Cocobay for its fantastic location

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cocobay or Sugar Ridge?

Both are excellent but it really depends on what you are looking for.

Cocobay ...............Faintly rustic but more in the way of laid back ambience than down at heel old fashioned [ whichit most definitely is not] The restaurant is good without being outstanding but only a short walk along the boardwalk around the hotel you will come to one of, if not THE, best restaurant on the island......"Shere" .

However this is NOT part of the hotel and quite expensive but the food is of a Gourmet standard which only the 5* restaurants in London's West End can match. Little Ffryes beach is only a short walk away from the hotel proper and all other beaches along the Lignum Vitae Bay are reachable and outstanding. The pools at the hotel are small but very inviting. you are only a 5 minute taxi ride from Jolly harbour with a few restaurants, bars and banks.

Definitely worth considering.

Sugar Ridge

We have stayed here every year since it opened as a counterpoint to our main holiday at Galley Bay. Ultra modern in every way and steadily developing it's own ambience.

Rooms are splendidly furnished and every one has a stunning view over Jolly Harbour.

NB We actually prefer the upper rooms with the big balcony rather than the lower ones with not very wonderful and quite small plunge pools.

Food at the main restaurant is of a high standard and overlooks the avant garde pool area. At the top of the hill you have the Hotels elite restaurant Carmichaels : absolutely incredible views,Food is only slightly below "Shere " quality and service impeccable. The attached Bar area overlooks a reasonably sized infinty pool.

Yes they are not on the beach but the hotel shuttle will take you to any of the beaches along Lignum Vitae Bay and you can arrange a time to be picked up with the driver Vorne who is a real character and worth getting to know.

I can walk to Jolly Harbour in 5 mins for the benefits mentioned before

Last thing, the hotel is getting a reputation for the place to be on a Saturday night when the more well healed residents in Antigua go for a meal and then the music / dancing.

Negatives ...only one from our experience, The rooms are all built along the golf cart road which spirals up the 300 - 400 ft high hill. Unless you are an Olympic class athlete or a sadist you should get the , very obliging , buggy jockeys to get you up and down. They are usually outside the main reception but a quick call to the Recetion Desk usually gets one up to you within 5mins.

Like I say both are great but for different reasons.

Whichever one you choose you WILL not be unhappy

München
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cocobay or Sugar Ridge?

Thank you for your answers :) but this makes the decision not easier ;)

Do you know how big these plunge pools are? Do they have bubbles like a whirl pool or is enough space for 2 persons? The pictures on their website is not very good.

And another question concerning the Shere Restaurant: Do I get meals there with my all inclusive at Cocobay?

Thanks!!

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cocobay or Sugar Ridge?

Do you know how big these plunge pools are?

Not very big, about 2m by 1m and set in the concrete floor of the balcony.

Do they have bubbles like a whirl pool or is enough space for 2 persons?

No and Barely

Do I get meals there with my all inclusive?

No. Like I said Sheer is NOT part of the hotel it's just that it is next to it.

BTW you HAVE to book ahead as it is very popular.

Edited: 28 November 2013, 10:27
München
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cocobay or Sugar Ridge?

Hmmmm.... OK, booking Cocobay :) thank you very much!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cocobay or Sugar Ridge?

It's 'Sheer Rocks'. Chef Alex is English and will come around the tables. Get there for a cliff-top table and watch the sun go down. Very romantic, wonderful food. One of our favourites.

7. Re: Cocobay or Sugar Ridge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Antigua