We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Antigua???

Myrtle Beach, South...
1 post
Save Topic
Safety in Antigua???

Have traveled to many Caribbean islands over the past several years. Some are safer than others!! Am considering a family vacation this summer with my family to Antigua/Barbuda. Can someone describe their recent experience regarding "Safety" in Antigua??

Thank you

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,154 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Antigua???

I don't mean to sound condescending but Antigua gets around 850,000 tourists every year and virtually all of them have a crime free experience.

Use the same common sense you do back home in Myrtle Beach and you'll be just fine. If you feel safe in Myrtle Beach you should feel even safer in Antigua.

To put things in perspective, the crime rate in Myrtle Beach is 170 incidents per 1,000 residents (not including tourism). For all of Antigua and Barbuda combined the crime rate is 32 per 1,000 residents.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
620 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Antigua???

I would echo the first poster that common sense should prevail wherever you are. I have never had any problems and I did not have the sense of apprehension that I may have felt in some locations. But crime exists everywhere, so don't set yourself up for failure. For example, one tourist I ran into in Antigua left her rental car keys UNDER the car, and guess what? It was stolen. She was very upset, but hey, would you do that at home? I certainly would not.

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Antigua???

I know that when people go on vacation they'd like to just check out and relax but the truth is that anywhere in the world you'll go where there is mass tourism, you'll be bound to find one or two scumbags who prey on them. This happens whether you're in St. John's or Paris, London or New York.

Be aware of your surroundings, don't put yourself in unfamiliar situations, leave valuables at home and pretty much do everything you would at home and you'll be fine.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Antigua???

I guess you are like most US tourists, looking for a week away from the crime ridden US. Relax it is not the US, not every country is blighted by crime to the extent of the US.

Little Elm, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Antigua???

Wow, seems to be alot of condescending talk of the US around here. The OP asked a simple question, and given that some areas in the Caribbean are not particularly safe for tourists, it is a perfectly logical question.

BTW, lived in the US my whole life and the only crime ever committed against me was identity theft by a foreigner.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 17:34
UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Antigua???

I think that is quite offensive Matthew S. Crime happens everywhere, even in Brighton!

Massapequa Park...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Antigua???

I think I can understand why you are asking. Antigua is very safe. It's not one of those islands where they tell us not to go outside the resort.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Antigua???

Matthew S- totally uncalled for. As Op said some islands are safer than others. Ray G-suggest you check out some hotel reviews to get a feeling of the place.

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
493 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Antigua???

We have been around the Caribbean and Central America for about a dozen years now. Antigua is among the safest places we have ever been to. There is virtually no agriculture or other industry in Antigua. Long story short tourism is how the people of the island make their living. Given this fact and the ability to use common sense it is highly unlikely to get into trouble on this island.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
620 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety in Antigua???

I agree with post 6: Let's not stereotype! To reiterate: just use common sense, as crime exists everywhere, as does safety. Be cautious WHEREVER you go.