We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay with 3 kids, AI

Massapequa Park...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay with 3 kids, AI

My husband and I went to Antigua last year and stayed at Jolly Beach Resort. We got a great price and loved it and especially loved the island . We're looking to come back with our 3 young children (8, 4 and 4). While we loved JBR, we don't think our kids would. The food was just ok and while he beach was beautiful, I'd like a beach that's a little calmer for the kids and where they can see the bottom. I've been looking at Verandah but recent reviews complain about seaweed and because we area family of 5, it gets expensive. A less expensive option is Halcyon Cove. Any thoughts on Halcyon Cove? Or any other suggestions? Would be WONDERFUL if we could get one room for all 5 of us but I've written to several resorts and no one has gotten back to me. When we left JBR last year they told us, if we book directly through them, we can get a queen/queen superior for all 5 of us but the price they quoted me was crazy. So, I'm looking for a resort with a beautiful, calm beach, good for kids and good food options. Bonus would be if we can get 5 in one room. Thanks!

Antigua
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay with 3 kids, AI

Hi,

You can try the Grand Pineapple. It sits on one of the best beach on the Island called Long Bay. Very shallow, clear, crystal water. Great for the kids. As a taxi driver and tour guide on the island I usually recommend that beach when ever there is a family with children and every one love it. The beach is very good for snorkeling. The hotel too is nice.

Emelda

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay with 3 kids, AI

Thanks Emelda. Just tried Pineapple but was told we'd need 2 rooms and they can't guarantee they'd be next to each other!

Bognor Regis...
Level Contributor
40 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay with 3 kids, AI

Hello,

My husband and i did something similar to you last year, we stayed at the Verandah and enjoyed it so much we are taking our 2 boys aged 9 & 4 this year and staying at the Verandah again. The facilities for kids are great, the food plentiful and lovely, the beaches are fine, the seaweed is more of a bother at the 'quiet' beach,however the sports beach is ideal for kids to splash around in, the seaweed that there is,is further out. Long beach where gpb is situated is about a 5 minute walk away from the Verandah if you wanted a change.

With regards to rooms at the Verandah they do have a small number of 2 bedroom family suites which might suit your needs perfectly! Hope this helps!

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay with 3 kids, AI

You'd get much, much, much better accommodations and also food (for a similar or even lower price) by renting a villa.

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay with 3 kids, AI

The only AI in that price range that I can think of is Pineapple.

However, there is ONE other choice - but the hotel gets very bad reviews (I'm talking about Grand Royal Antiguan)

However, I think that it gets a bad rap mainly because many of those who visit are people who've been bumped off of flights and stay there overnight, and for some inexplicable reason they do very badly at catering to those last minute visitors.

However, the beach is certainly one of the best on the island, crystal clear.

However, I DON"T know about the food and it's highly likely that you'll be one of the few visitors there. Great for spending quality time together, but bad if your kids are looking for a group to play with.

Halcyon is a decent stay, but the beach isn't crystal clear, and is more along the lines of the one at Jolly, as there are several hotels on that beach (Dickenson Bay)

Massapequa Park...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay with 3 kids, AI

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will look at the Royal Antiguan but I think my kids may prefer something with more kids. Last year we went to Mexico with them and it was nice that they found friends to play in the pool with so I could relax for maybe 5 minutes!

As for a villa, I thought about that but this is my vacation. I don't want to have to buy groceries, I don't want to prepare meals, I don't want to clean or make my bed!! LOL.

Sounds like we'll end up at the Verandah if we come back to Antigua.

maidstone
Level Contributor
212 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay with 3 kids, AI

We love Antigua and also have three children, although two are grown up and do their own thing now . About 5 years ago we went to Aruba in the summer holidays. We stayed at the tamarin on druif beach . We had inter connecting rooms which worked brilliantly . Lots of children friendly activities, great food and all rooms right on the beach . I would say that personally I prefer Antigua as it is much more authentically Caribbean with Palm trees etc etc but Aruba is out of the hurricane belt and is also lovely if not more Americanized !

We are staying at Jolly Beach in August this year and have our fingers crossed that it is better than most of the reviews are saying !

Massapequa Park...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay with 3 kids, AI

We went to Aruba about 7 years ago and loved it! We stayed at the Tamarjin. Not sure if exact same place you are talking about but we loved it too. if it is, you should be fine at Jolly Beach. I reviewed the Jolly Beach last year and I gave it 3 stars. It's fine. Nothing fancy but you get what you pay for. It was perfect for the price and if you go with an open mind, you will have a great time. I wasn't expecting the Waldorf. As for Aruba, would love to go back but we need a direct flight from NY because I hate doing connections with the kids and we only fly American Airlines so our choices, direct, are Antigua, Saint Martin, St. Thomas or Cancun.

maidstone
Level Contributor
212 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay with 3 kids, AI

Yes I'm sure it's the same place. Such a lovely atmosphere there. We are very limited with our budget and the jolly beach seemed to fit everyone's idea of a good holiday . Have been to the Grenadian Rex in Grenada that is a three star so I'm hoping its a similar standard to that because we had a lovely holiday there .

Can't really comment on your other possible destinations because I haven't been lucky enough to visit them yet . Good luck :)

10. Re: Where to stay with 3 kids, AI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Antigua