We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Antigua- looking for some tips of things to do

Florida...
3 posts
Save Topic
Staying in Antigua- looking for some tips of things to do

Hi all,

If possible, anyone who has traveled to Antigua before can you take a minute to dive into all the activities around Antigua?

We are married and in our upper 20s and would like a relaxing vacation but one with activities throughout the week. We are debating if we should rent a car or if mass transportation is much easier from the location(Tranquility Bay Antigua) where we are staying.

Also, please advise if Tranquility Bay Antiqua is a safe hotel clean hotel to stay in.

Any tips are greatly appreciated, please no negative comments.

Thanks for any help!

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,872 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Antigua- looking for some tips of things to do

This might be a good starting point:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g147242-Activi…

You don't need a car at Tranquility as it's on a good local bus route for the entire west coast chain of beaches or into the city. There's excellent supermarket shopping and other shops, banks, pharmacy, bars, restaurants etc right next door at Jolly Harbour.

If you want to take a longer look around the country or visit some of the other beaches, you can either take a taxi or tour, or perhaps rent a car for a day or two to be able to set your own itinerary and spend some time at the spots you enjoy.

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Antigua- looking for some tips of things to do

TB is definitely a safe and clean hotel.

Public transport is quite reliable in that area. However, there are a couple of rental companies that operate at the Jolly Beach Hotel, which is TB's "sister" property right next door, so if you feel the need to rent a car, they will be easily and quickly available.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,916 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Antigua- looking for some tips of things to do

If you are looking for a private driver, I can highly recommend Big Roger of Roger's Taxi and Tours. Really nice and personable guy with reasonable prices. Let me know if you want his contact info.

We used him once four years ago and three times this trip! Just came home yesterday - he created an all-day tour for our group to places we asked to go to, as well as several others he suggested. In my opinion an absolute must-see is the Devil's Bridge - you will be in awe of the power of Mother Nature!

sheffield UK
Level Contributor
41 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Antigua- looking for some tips of things to do

Lunch at Roxy's on galleon bay beach water taxi to Nelsons Dockyard the taxi to Shirley Heights.... fantastic day!

Florida...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Antigua- looking for some tips of things to do

Thank you all for your quick response! It's apparent my email was not working well notifying me of the new posts sorry about that! Tranquility became a little expensive so we are looking latest today to find another hotel nearby. Our needs of a hotel is that it is clean and next to a beach. Since we are on a lower budget I'm looking into to Jolly beach resort or hawksbill resort all inclusive. Does anyone else recommend either for a upper 20s married couple? If not, anything else in the area or is all inclusive worth it in those hotels? Thanks for the help.

Florida...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Antigua- looking for some tips of things to do

Thank you for this tip!!! Was Roger reasonably priced? if you don't mind can you please include his information we are trying to see as much as we can since we are more outdoor exploring type. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,916 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Antigua- looking for some tips of things to do

The one place in particular I highly recommend you get to is The Devil's Bridge! Absolutely amazing seeing what Mother Nature's power can do! We could have spent many hours sitting there watching the power of the ocean!

Happy to provide you with Roger's info:

Roger (known as Big Roger) of Roger's Taxi & Tours.

rogertaxitours@gmail.com

(268) 764-6331 or (305) 848-5799.

FB page is Roger Taxi Tours.

Very reasonable rates and a very nice guy.

Clean air conditioned van.

He brought a cooler of drinks along for us (beer and soda), including his rum punch! ;)

Please feel free to tell him I recommended him to you!

Edited: 23 February 2014, 18:15
connecticut
Level Contributor
109 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Antigua- looking for some tips of things to do

Try the zip line

Hereford
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Antigua- looking for some tips of things to do

Stayed last March at Jolly Beach and found it good value for money . A superb beach side setting with a variety of complementary watersports. Tip - upgrade from the "supersaver" room!! As a previous reviewer pointed out the hotel is on the local bus route where it is a short hop to St. Johns and the main bus hub. From there plenty of buses to go where you want. Suggestions English Harbour, Nelsons Dockyard and Shirley Heights (need taxi from Nelsons Dockyard). I will be going to Antigua in March but am going to Hawksbill for a change of scene and only hope that it will be as good as Jolly Beach. Incidentally have always favoured Hawksbill but the prices have always been more than Jolly Beach until this year when I have managed to secure a good deal. Have visited most of the Leeward and Windward Islands and find Antigua to be my favourite island. This will be my fourth visit to Antigua. Have a good holiday.

HDH
Saundersfoot...
Level Contributor
511 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Antigua- looking for some tips of things to do

Hi I would recommend the verandah , great hotel and reasonable prices , re things to do , definitely get a driver and they would be our tour guide. Go snorkelling at Darkwood, swim in Half Moon, take a day trip on a catamaran , visit English harbour . G to Shirley Heights on Sunday afternoon and evening....fab bands ?

Love love Antigua , Ben there about 9 times now. Great choice

Regards Helen