We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freestyle wedding - ideas needed!

Limassol
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Freestyle wedding - ideas needed!

Hello

We booked our trip to Antigua and we will be staying a few days in Cocobay resort in May. We also plan to get married in Antigua but I wasnt sure it should be organized by the hotel or within the hotel. Its gonna be only the two of us.

The photographers that the hotel is suggesting are (what is the polite word for terrible?) not remarkable. The good ones: Vanessa Hall will not be available and Shelly Chadburn is no longer in Antigua.

I am looking for ideas as to

- WHERE to get married? We would love a sailing boat...

- WHO could be our wedding photographer? Someone good...

- WHO to engage to carry out the organisation? maybe not needed at all if i get answers to the first two...

The hotel's fee for the wedding is $1.200 but we do not need cake or wedding bouquet or champagne (we dont like cakes and champagne we love nachos and beer) so this would be a not so traditional wedding.

I would prefer to give this money to the organizer, and boat owner and marriage officer if I can get them to work together.

Please let me know your opinion and suggestions!

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Freestyle wedding - ideas needed!

Speak to Tracy at Indigo Services. She will be a great help.

www.antiguanice.com/v2/client.php…

Regards

Mark

England
Level Contributor
799 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Freestyle wedding - ideas needed!

We visited the fine-dining restaurant at Cocobay last week called Sheer Rocks. I believe it is run separately from the hotel nowadays, but when we spoke to the proprietor Alex he told us that they hold a lot of weddings at the restaurant every year.

It is in a fantastic setting, and the food was wonderful. The place is enormously romantic. It would be worth checking out what they can offer. Their website is www.sheer-rocks.com. It doesn't show weddings, but you could email them.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,872 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Freestyle wedding - ideas needed!

I'd completely agree with Mark - speak to Tracy, who can organise as little or as much as you like. It's not going to quite be just the two of you - you need two witnesses and your marriage officer as well!

If you're really keen on getting married on board, give Nick or Kaye a shout at Jabberwocky - adventurecaribbean.com/antigua_weddings.php

Have fun planning - and even more on the day. Mine was on the beach at Darkwood, and couldn't have been more perfect if I'd tried!

sheffield UK
Level Contributor
41 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Freestyle wedding - ideas needed!

Yes, try Jabberwocky.. Kaye and Nick are great!

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Freestyle wedding - ideas needed!

I hired both Vanessa Hall and Jason Pickering for my wedding and trash the dress photos respectively in April 2013.

Jason produced much much better results than Vanessa Hall did. He was also a lot more personable and friendly, not to mention way cheaper.

I worked in a high end photo studio for 8 years so I am picky and thought I'd love Vanessa Hall's photography, but that was an incorrect assumption on my part. I haven't chosen to share my wedding photos with the TA community, however if you would like to see a few samples from each photographer from my wedding day, I will be happy to email you a few, just PM me.

Also, I agree, Tracy at Indigo Event planning is very nice and well organized. I didn't end up using her services as I ended up with a resort wedding so their planner took care of everything.

Exeter, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Freestyle wedding - ideas needed!

Hi,

My partner and I are looking to get married at The Vahrander resort and spa in Antigua in April 2015, has anyone got any comments on this resort????

We were also talking about a decent photographer to do our photos :-) I'll look in to Jason Pickering. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated :)

England
Level Contributor
799 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Freestyle wedding - ideas needed!

If you type Verandah Resort and spa into the main header on Tripadvisor, and then click on Verandah, you will see lots of reviews from people who have holidayed there, including some who have had their weddings and honeymoons there. Those might be helpful.

8. Re: Freestyle wedding - ideas needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 07:20