We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Umbrella

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
326 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Umbrella

Less than 3 weeks till we arrive on the island. I know all the posts say don't look at the weather forecasts but should I pack an umbrella? What'd the weather like today?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,890 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Umbrella

Leave umbrella at home - pack plenty of sunblock, instead - you'll need it.

Trying to correlate today's weather with what you see on the internet is a waste of time and what the weather is today has no bearing on what it will be like in 3 weeks.

Online forecasts ALWAY, REPAT ALWAYS predict rain. I live 40 miles or so from Antigua and we get the same weather (except whatever happens there, happens here about 2 hours later). It has been very dry lately with only 2 days that could be describe as "rainy" in the past 6 to 8 weeks.

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Umbrella

The weather forecasts are ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. Yes it will probably rain for about 5 or 10 minutes somewhere in Antigua 2 or even 3 times a week but VERY localised . You cannot get even a remotely accurate picture of the weather in Derbyshire for 3 weeks ahead so you cannot expect anything other than a wild guess for Antigua. Actually that is only partly true. What IS certain is that in Antigua the sun will be shining for at least 90% of the daylight hours.

If it stops you worrying stick one of those little collapsible umbrellas in your case .

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Umbrella

I take a tiny umbrella- but it's to use while waiting at airport for our taxi on return to UK !!! The downpours in Antigua are something else - short but tropical usually !! Don't know where you are staying but we have always found complimentary golf type umbrellas supplied in the resort rooms. Don't worry about forecast.

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Umbrella

I say bring the umbrella - you'll never know when you get caught in a downpour! And as has been mentioned, our forecasts are only accurate 2-3 days out, so don't worry about the weather and just come to have a good time

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
529 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Umbrella

We usually get a couple of brollies from the 99p shop and leave them when we come home - either with staff or other guests.

NYC metro
Level Contributor
118 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Umbrella

Couldn't hurt to pack a small umbrella or two for your convenience -- but i definitely wouldn't worry about the weather. We were on island April 11-18. Each day there was some rain very early (ending 5 - 6 AM) and maybe a brief shower or two after that around 7 AM or so. When I say brief -- I mean 10 minutes or so. We might have had had an occasional early evening one -- but obviously it didn't make an impression on me since I am not sure it even happened! We did have one day where the rain was heavy and more than brief -- but still done by 8 AM or so. The weather during the day was gorgeous every day - hot (but not too hot) with a pleasant breeze and sunny almost all day -- the passing clouds here and there were a nice break from the sun. This was a our third visit and each year the forecast before we went looked like a rainy week -- but not the case at all. Enjoy!

sussex
Level Contributor
479 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Umbrella

Forget the umbrella and enjoy the liquid sunshine! You will soon dry out!!

8. Re: Umbrella

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 05:16