We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental vs. taxi

NYC
Level Contributor
21 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
car rental vs. taxi

We're leaving next week for Antigua and staying for 7 nights at the Verandah. We will most likely stay at the resort most of the time, but might take 1-2 days max to explore the island a bit with our 2 yo.

We're debating between renting a car for the whole week and renting a car for just one day and taking a taxi to/from hotel. I guess whichever is cheaper...my understanding is that a taxi ride each way to Verandah will be around $28. Do you know what the typical tip rate is and also how much extra they would charge if we ask to make a quick grocery stop?

For car rental, does anyone have a company they recommend?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,949 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental vs. taxi

A lot depends on whether you're confident driving on the left. Either way, I'd usually recommend getting a taxi from/to the airport and then perhaps renting a car for a couple of days during the stay - all the rental companies will deliver to you there and organise all the paperwork, including your local licence, on the spot.

I would definitely recommend bringing your own car seat with you - not all rentals have these, and I wouldn't necessarily assume they're in the condition you might like. Be aware, though, that most taxis don't have seat belts, and you'll probably need to hold your little one on your lap for the journey over the island to the resort.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental vs. taxi

Hi huajules,

We are travelling to Antigua in September and are also considering hiring a rental car. I am actually considering hiring one at the airport rather than taking a taxi to our resort. We are staying at Grand Pineapple Beach. I would be grateful to hear of your experience.

Thank you.

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental vs. taxi

You do not say whether or not you have driven in, or even been to, the Island before and my comments are mainly based on the assumption that the answer to both points is NO.

You will probably have been up since 4 am to leave Salisbury before 6am to get to Gatwick at 8 am; hung around the airport for a couple of hours and then had an 8.5hr flight to Antigua; it will have taken you at least 1 h, and probably longer, to get through Passport control and Customs and signed all the Car Hire firms papers.

It is now 12 hours since you left your bed, the temperature is about 20 degrees higher than what you left back in Wiltshire and all the waiting around while you check the car for dents etc has made you travel companion fairly anti social. Man you are Knack**** .

Believe me you do NOT want to drive in an unfamiliar car along unfamiliar roads many of which would be lucky to get a B rating in England.

The Hire Car firms will all deliver to GPB the morning after your arrival for no extra charge and you will have saved the cost of petrol for the drive from the airport.

Do it the easy way let them come to you.

4. Re: car rental vs. taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Antigua
Recent Conversations