We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

antigua

Province of...
Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
antigua

going to antigua in August looking forward to it,want to definitely go to Shirley Heights on the sunday british airways are doing a trip anyone used them for the excursion or is it worth doing it ourselves locally when we get to Antigua any help appreciated only 65 MORE GETUPS

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: antigua

It will be cheaper to do it yourself, by taxi from your hotel, even maybe share a taxi with other guests, some hotels even put on a shuttle.

Regards

Mark.

St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
875 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: antigua

It is good to go independently of an organised trip because then you can choose when to arrive and how long you stay. Organised trips often go too early and then leave just when the party is hotting up. Aim to get there during the hour leading up to sunset ( about 6.35 in August ) . A steel pan band will play from 4.00. till. 7.00 and work themselves up to a frenzy by about 7.00pm. They are great but you do have to be keen to listen for the full 3 hours. Then a local band come on to play. Different band different weeks so some are better than others. If they are good you may want to stay till 10.00 in which case there is a b-b-q ( mass catering but pretty good ). If band is not so good you may want to get back to your hotel in time for evening meal. Many of the hotel organised tours will want you to leave soon after 7.00 to get back for dinner..

If going independently think about taking in a short visit (30 minutes) to Nelson's Dockyard around say 5.00 pm which can be included on the way. Historically interesting and pretty to see though most of the bars and restaurants will be closed in August and none of the winter season yachts will be there, so a short visit might suffice .

If you can make up your own small party of people who will agree to be flexible too then cost not significantly different from organised trip.

Edited: 15 June 2014, 13:47
Cobourg, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: antigua

Hi, writing this sitting on the beach in Antigua...what a beautiful morning! I'm not sure how the prices are, but I just reserved a taxi for tomorrow, we have him for four hours and he will bring us wherever we want on the island. The cost is $160 USD abd we booked him through the hotel. This might be a cheaper route for you to take.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: antigua

That price seems very high as well, as you booked it through the hotel.

www.antiguanice.com/v2/page.php?page=30

Regards

Mark

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: antigua

Hello. Thank you for your response and link to the poster's original question. I have a question along similar lines. We arrive on Antigua on Saturday and am looking forward to Shirley Heights, as well. I have a question about the tour rates table: what is the starting point for the rates? In other words, we are going to be staying at Grand Pineapple, which I understand is quite a distance from the town and many attractions. Wouldn't our rate be higher, and how do I determine the rate? Thank you.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: antigua

I also arrive in Antigua on Saturday. Staying in Jolly Harbor. I was very interested in going to Shirley Heights on Sunday, but talked myself out of it. Is it a must do? I am renting a car and not sure I look forward to the 40 min drive back at night in unfamiliar territory (with what I understand are poorly marked streets).

Michigan
Level Contributor
196 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: antigua

I would definitely hire a car & driver; we did it with 2 other couples & it was very reasonable - don't remember the rate but he just hung out & waited until we were bored to take us home. We stayed in Jolly Harbour & doing it that way sure took the stress out of parking & driving on the other side of the road @ night! We hired someone recommended by the Jolly Harbour people - HBK I believe it is called.....Shirley Heights is a must see @ least once! I hear Thursdays are a much quieter gathering & we intend to do that next trip.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 04:50
8. Re: antigua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 05:16