We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort?

manchester
Level Contributor
376 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Which resort?

Flights are booked for mid january. We are 4 40 yr old ladies and our priorities are a nice beach /scenery, good nightlife and food. We want to stay self catering or room only. Which resort am I best to concentrate the search for accomodation on? Budget wise we have £100 per 2 people per night. From reading on here I am thinking Falmouth looks like the right place but I really need some advise off someone who knows the island.

Thanks

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,837 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort?

Falmouth/English Harbour

Jolly Harbour

DIckenson Bay area

in that order for mid-January.

Room only can actually get quite expensive if you don't have an efficiency unit (ie with fridge/cooking facilities) as bizarrely, breakfast can end up being the most expensive meal of the day!

Take a look at www.antiguanice.com/v2/client.php?id=504 or perhaps http://www.falmouthbeachapartments.com/

If you can stretch a tiny bit, look at the beach front rooms at www.catamaran-antigua.com/accommodation.php

However, you may find some of the nicer properties a bit more than your budget allow, or have already been rented out and if this is the case, consider Jolly Harbour, where a you could get a 2 bed/2 bath villa for half the amount, or a 3 bed still within budget. The beaches are nicer, but the nightlife won't be quite as good as English Harbour (though still pretty good as it's high season).

manchester
Level Contributor
376 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort?

Thanks that's really helpful, I will continue my search in that direction!

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which resort?

Agree with MizGeorge.

English Harbour slightly better nightlife and dining out choices at that time. However, can get expensive if there are no self catering facilities. A couple of small supermarkets in English Harbour and neighbouring Falmouth

However, Jolly Harbour still has decent nightlife and has the luxury of a decent sized supermarket to make self catering easier. Also, much better availability of GOOD budget priced accommodation.

A 2 bedroom/2bathroom villa, with full kitchen and AC, runs about $1000 US (and sometimes less) per week in Jolly Harbour. You'll want to choose a villa on the South Finger, closer to the shopping area and restaraunts.

4. Re: Which resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 06:16