We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still looking for information on where to stay, what to do

New Hampshire, USA
8 posts
Save Topic
Still looking for information on where to stay, what to do

I'm planning trip to Antigua, probably the Sunsail Colonna, next February or April with my wife and (9 year old) daughter. We're all regular sailors and beach-goers, but were looking for general opinions as to where else to go on the island, what "not to miss", and any first person opinions on the Sunsail Colonna resort. Any opinions on which month would be "better" as far a temperatures, weather, tourism (crowds) would also be appreciated. Posts are appreciated, or email at "info_on_antigua@yahoo.com". Thanks in advance.

Fallston, MD
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Still looking for information on where to stay, what to do

Tom,

I've emailed an internet "friend" who is best to answer your questions about the Sunsail and have given this thread link.

He may respond to your email address.

Terry

McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
436 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Still looking for information on where to stay, what to do

I saw your post on Trip Advisor. I have been to Colonna 4 times. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I have included a trip report I had from 2003. Things are pretty much the same through 2005 other than that they have started to update the rooms. Also the prices have gone up sharply. They have tried to justify it by including all 3 meals everyday. Colonna used to be an incredible bargain when you caught a sale. Now the prices are a bit high for my budget but it is still an excellent resort.

Review from 2003

Colonna has a large selection of sailboats. They have Sport 16s, Hobie Cats and Optimists. Their largest selection is the Laser and Laser Pico. Both of these boats are a real hoot to sail. There are also some small powerboats your use.

One of the most impressive features of Sunsail is the sailing staff. Their safety program couldn’t be much better. They are on constant watch from the beach and from at least two safety boats. All staff members are in constant communication with one another. Their goal is to be at your boat in less than two minutes should you capsize.

You can go to Sunsail with any level of experience. From never being on a sailboat to being an old salt (like me). There are free clinics during the week to discuss just about anything in small boat sailing During busy periods the only sailing lessons that are available are paid lessons, but during off peak times the staff that is not on safety duty is always willing to give you tips. I had never been on a windsurfer in my life and a staff member had me sailing in about 10 minutes.

The rest of the staff is very helpful and pleasant. The most impressive was the wait staff in the restaurant, in which I received some of the best service anywhere.

The food was very good. You get two meals a day one of them always being breakfast, The other being either lunch or dinner. You have to check the calendar to see which you get on a given day. There is one day during the week in which you will only get breakfast.

I do not have any children but couldn’t help but notice how attentive and loving the daycare workers were toward the children. These women are true angels and seem to love their work. I would highly recommend checking out the program should you have children.

There are almost no major negatives that I can think of, only a few minor ones.

* The resort was not 100% emacculate. There were one or two items lying throughout the resort that really should have been picked up. This is no big deal really since the resort was very clean overall.

* The boating equipment could have been just a bit better maintained but I understand the sailing equipment was at the end of its life and there should be al new equipment there now. A few of the powerboats had problems , hopefully they will be replaced too.

* Our barefoot day sail, which could have been a bit more organized. But it was run by someone that was new to the resort so I guess we could cut him some slack.

The first couple of weeks of November seem to be the ideal time to go. The weather is great, the crowds are small and the prices are low. I was very skeptical on staying at a resort. I usually charter a sailboat in the BVI of which I am skipper. I didn't think I would like staying in the same place for a week, but was nice to stay at a resort where I can truly relax and not worry about the safety of my crew and the equipment. I will go back to Colonna again.

3. Re: Still looking for information on where to stay, what to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 17:19
Get answers to your questions about Antigua