We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The blue pearl cottage

Level Contributor
20 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
The blue pearl cottage

Has anyone any information about this rental - I am thinking of booking it in November. It's near long bay - is that a good area for swimming

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,076 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The blue pearl cottage

Long Bay is a great swimming and snorkelling beach, and I gather from friends who were over there recently that Blue Pearl is a little sweetheart of a cottage - built by the owner and quite rustic, but pretty and nicely furnished.

I'd highly recommend renting a car, both for exploring the island and for shopping.

Level Contributor
20 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The blue pearl cottage

Hi

Can you tell me if bugs and Mosquitos are likely to be a problem in November

Also will we be able to find food - restaurants and supermarkets in the area?

Is the sea on that coast safe for swimming?

We are planning to hire a car and to stay in two locations

The other place we are looking at is on Old Road

I am quite adventurous but don't like spiders!

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,076 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The blue pearl cottage

It's the tropics, so there are bugs around. It's pretty easy to protect yourself though - look here: tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147242-c3273/Antig…

There are a couple of restaurants on Long Bay - very nice Italian right on the beach (La Tartaruga) for lunch and dinner, and Mama Pasta just above the beach for great informal food until early evening. There's also a beach bar of sorts.

You'd need to do grocery shopping elsewhere though - the local superettes probably won't have what you're looking for. If you're staying at Old Road first, this isn't far from Jolly Harbour, where there's an excellent supermarket, so you could easily shop there before heading over to the east.

Long Bay is a very safe swimming beach. It's pretty protected, and the water's clear.

There are spiders on the island, but you're very unlikely to encounter one unless you're really looking for them. They're much more scared of you than you are of them!

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The blue pearl cottage

Blue Pearl is lovely, quite basic but if you are not looking for luxury (there is internet) and you don't mind sleeping with the windows open and the sound of the waves below, then it is a good choice, and very reasonably priced! There is access to Dian Bay from the cottage. In my mind the only negative is noise from Verandah Resort which is directly across the bay from the house, their night time guest entertainment can be heard, and loudly. The owners are great hosts and go out of their way to help you.

Long Bay is less than three minutes walk down the road, and is a very safe beach for swimming.

There is a wonderful farmers market on Jonas Road near All Saints village, about 12 minutes drive from the cottage, and you will get very fresh and often organic fruit and vegetables. Otherwise you will need to do a big shop at Epicurean near St John's, or down in English Harbour.

Level Contributor
20 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The blue pearl cottage

Thanks - is it safe to sleep with windows open

Also what about valuables ?

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The blue pearl cottage

It should be safe, but maybe that is a question to ask the owners, as well as if they have a safe.

7. Re: The blue pearl cottage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Antigua