We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Expert Help Please!!

london
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Local Expert Help Please!!

Would one of the lovely Antigua experts be able to help by letting me know how far by car Dian Bay is from Fitches Creek. How long should you allow to travel by car?

Thanks so much for your help in advance. Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Hya
Antigua
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Expert Help Please!!

25-30 minutes should do it just right if you are not very familiar with the route I would give myself 40 minutes. Although once you make your way on Factory Road it is one straight road with a few twirls on the way.

Hope this helps.

Fallston, MD
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Expert Help Please!!

Well, "rio81" ...... I'd like to thank you for mentioning Fitches Creek. If that area has ever been mentioned on any of the various Antigua forums over the years, I certainly don't recall it.

I agree with Hyacinth, 40 minutes should do the trick. Probably the best ways to view Dian Bay would be to either take a tour of the Dian Bay Resort and/or the Long Bay Hotel ... or go out to Indian Town Point and look at it from the Devil's Bridge area.

Now, I have a question for Hyacinth. One thing we've learned about the ANU road maps is that not all secondary roads are created equal. The area west of Parham Harbour and the Anglican Church remains uncharted territory for us and I'd really like to visit St. George's church. What is the best road to get there? Off of Factory or off of the Airport road?

"rio81", the AH&TA has, for years, annually published a booklet entitled "Life in Antigua & Barbuda" which includes turn by turn instructions for visitors to take a self-guided driving tour of the island to visit the bulk of the popular points of interest. It is distributed to most all of the resorts and many villas, apartments and rental/real estate agents throughout the island. You might want to inquire about one either before or after arriving.

Unfortunately, in my case, although St. George's is mentioned in the 'Exploying Antigua' section ...... Fitches Creek is not part of the self guided driving tour.

Cheers,

london
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Expert Help Please!!

Thanks so much Terry and Hya.

Could you help with one other question?! How long should i allow to travel between Dian Bay and English Harbour? Is it any closer?!!

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Expert Help Please!!

Half an hour from Dian Bay to English Harbour. The Willoughby Bay Road is more scenic (and more direct) than going on the "better" road that goes through All Saints.

Terry, to go to St. George church, I think it's easiest to take a right at the North Sound Bridge. It's also possible to go there from Parham.

Hya
Antigua
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Local Expert Help Please!!

Hi Terry the best route is to come straight up Old Parham Road and cross Airport Road over to the road where Amarillis Hotel is and go staright up for about 3/4 of a mile. You will see a left turn at the top of the road dont turn left, keep on the staright road and then turn right t. Go straight ahead and to you left you will see the St. Georges Church.

Hope my directions are not too confusing for you Terry

Good Luck

Fallston, MD
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Local Expert Help Please!!

Yep, for sure ... take the Willoughby Bay Rd and perhaps enroute or on the way back ... take a slight deviation from your charted course and visit Half Moon Bay while you're sort of in the area !

"cessna" ..... I thought that North Sound was like near the new stadium. I have no clue where this bridge is ... do I ?? I don't feel like trying to get there through Parham again. I thought that maybe if we took Factory down to the Airport Rd, made a right and then another right onto Old Parham Rd that somehow I might get there that way but wouldn't know which landmarks to look for to make further turns.

Cheers,

Hya
Antigua
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Local Expert Help Please!!

From the Junction of Old Parham Road and Airport Road it will literally take you 8 minutes to get to the church.... The beach close by is one of my favorite places to go fishing.

Fallston, MD
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Local Expert Help Please!!

Well, Hya Hyacinth !

Now what were the odds of us both posting at the exact same time?

So, I go past the road to the Amarillis? Am I still on Old Parham at this point or has Old Parham gone off to the right by this time?

If I did, for thrills, make the left at the top of the road ... where would I end up ... on the VC Bird runway or something ?

Thanks so much !

"Hi Terry the best route is to come straight up Old Parham Road and cross Airport Road over to the road where Amarillis Hotel is and go staright up for about 3/4 of a mile. You will see a left turn at the top of the road dont turn left, keep on the staright road and then turn right t. Go straight ahead and to you left you will see the St. Georges Church."

Fallston, MD
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Local Expert Help Please!!

Question for "rio81" !!

I keep looking at the last sentence that you wrote: "Is it any closer?"

I'm not certain what you're asking? Is where closer to where from where? Fitches Creek to EH versus Dian Bay to EH ??? Is that what you mean ?

For some reason, I gathered you were renting a villa in the Fitches Creek area ... but now, I'm not so sure anymore. Could it be that you are considering renting a villa that is on Dian Bay? If so, what villa might that be?

Cheers,

"Could you help with one other question?! How long should i allow to travel between Dian Bay and English Harbour? Is it any closer?!!"

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Local Expert Help Please!!

Terry, the reason I didn't suggest the airport road route is because I thought you'd be coming from the Pineapple area. The way Hya suggests may be better roads, but the way I am saying is more direct from the Pineapple side. North Sound Bridge is not much of a bridge in the American sense, and yes it is near the stadium.