We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antigua or Anguilla? Which is better?

Georgia
Level Contributor
168 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Antigua or Anguilla? Which is better?

I am traveling the first week of December to either CocoBAy Antigua or Anguilla Great House. Which island is prettier, more scenic, has the prettiest water, is the least crowded, nicest beaches, etc.? Which resort is the nicest, and has the best location?

Croydon, England...
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Antigua or Anguilla? Which is better?

With respect I think its a tall order to find someone who has been to both hotels on different islands and even then its their opinion so suggest researching both hotels and its reviews in their respective forums and you'll come to which one is more to your flavour. Good luck with your choice and have a great time. :)

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antigua or Anguilla? Which is better?

I presume you are going to Anguilla on your private jet. Because that's the only way to land in Anguilla; the runway is not long enough for commercial airlines. Most "tourists'"who end up on Anguilla come via the ferry from St. Martin.

Anguilla therefore has a more exclusive, private feel to it. In my experience, which I admit is not recent experience, it is incredibly expensive compared to Antigua.

I don't feel I can compare the two islands, they are both so different! I can only say, Anguilla will give you a more high-end, exclusive experience than Antigua, and so you have to decide what you are looking for!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antigua or Anguilla? Which is better?

Hi

Well Royee I have stayed at both of these resorts, I now live in Antigua but I think you are right it is best to look at the reports.

This is a difficult post to answer, these islands are very different. Anguilla IMO is quiet, tranquil,failrly flat, very expensive has some stunning beaches. Some resorts are top noch with service to match. The Great House is much lower down that scale, it has a nice setting and is on a good beach has single storey small rooms attached to each other with a long balcony at the front, it is at the level of the ocean, nice but not great views.

It you are just looking to kick back, stay on the beach and do nothing but read a good book its a good place for that.

Antigua is definately busier though not like St Martin, it takes direct flights by major carriers so has a bigger tourist market and those tourists for the most part are less exclusive than those on Anguilla.

It has varied scenery, some excellent beaches, a bustling town, good lower priced restaurants more to do.

Coco bay is not an exclusive resort but its very pretty, has small cabins with beautiful views, these are spread up a small hillside so the views are excellent, the bar restaurant area is nicer than the Great House. It has no AC and has showers with doors that open so you can shower and take in the great view.

I enjoyed Anguilla, I stayed a few days, got fairly bored, ate some good but very expensive meals. Would I go again, yes, but not soon. Antigua is my home so touristy stuff is in the past but every so often I do a tourist thing and enjoy it.

Hope this helps but I think you are trying to compare apples and oranges, its down to what you are looking for.

4. Re: Antigua or Anguilla? Which is better?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Antigua