We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

all-inclusive family resort

Boston,MA
7 posts
Save Topic
all-inclusive family resort

I am interested in booking a trip to jumby bay for my family--three kids under the ages of 10. would anyone recommend this resort for children? if not, i want to find an all-inclusive reosrt (not a club med or a resort, like beaches, but rather a boutique style resort with things for kids).

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: all-inclusive family resort

Hi

You may be just right with Jumbly Bay but I would also suggest you consider Carlyle Bay:

http://www.carlisle-bay.com

I have heard from a few people that it is an excellent boutigue resort, linked with 1 Aldwich in London that has excellent childrens facilities.

I am afraid I have not stayed at either resort myself as I live here in Antigua but it may be worth looking in to.

Good luck

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: all-inclusive family resort

Have you contacted Jumby Bay? While I haven't been there in 18 months or so (and have only eaten there; never stayed there), they told me that they were adults-only at that time. I would be interested to know what they told you about accommodations for families, since supposedly I am a "local expert" here!!!!

I think I know what kind of resort you are seeking, and I honestly cannot think of a place in Antigua (OTHER than Jumby Bay, if they are now taking children) that would suit you. There really aren't boutique-style resorts in Antigua.

There are nice....very nice....accommodations though, and you might consider renting a private home. Virtually all homes have maid service, which can include cooking meals. There are a lot of places around English Harbour/Falmouth Harbour with pools; these would be near beaches, nightlife, horseback riding, etc.

Other than that, for a family vacation during which the kids and adults can sometimes go their separate ways, I think the Colonna Beach Club is great. It is part of the Sunsail Yacht Charter group, and so a lot of their focus for the kids is teaching sailing. The beach is nice, and the resort is close to Dickenson Bay, which is a popular area of the island.

Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: all-inclusive family resort

OSBW, check out the Carlisle Bay Web Site and then check out the reviews on here (bearing in mind that that the last few reviews have been unusually poor and so are not representative).

Some people are not going to like this but I think this needs to be said (and I don't think I should hold it back any longer). For someone who is supposedly a "Local expert" for Antigua Cessnapilot is consistently misleading, if not plain wrong.

The mistakes are numberous. In the case at hand she effectively dismisses Munmunmun's apposite suggestion that Osbw take at look at Carlisle Bay, and instead suggests Club Colonna for a "boutique style resort with things for kids." This is absurd. Colonna does have an active kids club (as does CB, plus more, according to reviews), but it is by no means a "boutique style resort."

I think her status as an expert needs to be revoked.

There is no need for any acrimonious exchange of words. I'm sure she is a nice lady. I just think she gets things wrong too often.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: all-inclusive family resort

It is unusual for me to respond to certain types of critiques, but in this case I guess I have to since I am accused of "numberous" errors.

It certainly wasn't my intention to dismiss Munmun's "apposite" suggestion about Carlisle Bay. I was instead suggesting an alternative, which is what we all DO here on Trip Advisor.

Nor did I say that Colonna is a "boutique style resort with things for kids" and am very distressed at being misquoted. I did instead say I didn't believe there were boutique style resorts on the island. If I am to be criticized, it would be nice if the critic got his story straight.

I would be happy to have my "local expert" status revoked, if that makes sense. I do have more than 50 years of experience on the island. I also occasionally make mistakes.

I would invite anyone to click on my screenname, "Cessnapilot", and take a look at my profile, the reviews I have written, and in particular the contributions I have made to the forums for Antigua, Maine, Tonga, Paris, Australia, Tahiti, Tokyo, and others.

In doing so, I would ask that people particularly look at the tone of my contributions. And then please do the same for "Know A Little Bit" and decide for oneself who chooses to be acrimonious.

Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: all-inclusive family resort

Cessnapilot,

Osbw asked for "boutique style resort with things for kids." Yes, you said that "There really aren't boutique-style resorts in Antigua." But then you offer recommendations. Unless otherwise specified, one would naturally think that any hotel you recommend, though not a "boutique style resort,” would be the next closest thing. Indeed, after saying that “There really aren't boutique-style resorts in Antigua” you say that there are "very nice....accommodations though." So one naturally takes your recommendations to be something like the next best things to a “boutique style resort.”

My claim is that Colonna neither has “very nice....accommodations” nor, more importantly, is it the anywhere near the next best thing to a “boutique style resort” in Antigua.

If you say that you weren’t recommending Colonna as a place with “very nice....accommodations,” but as something else, then you’ll effectively be admitting one of my charges against you, namely, that you mislead visitors to TA looking for advice.

You seem to be fond of quoting people’s spelling and other grammatical errors. You should know that no spelling or other grammatical error falsifies anything your critics say.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: all-inclusive family resort

Hi

Sticking to you question, I really do suggest you take a look at Carlyle Bay, I think it is what you are looking for.

I agree there has been some negative reports written but I have spoken to alot of people with children who have been there and really had a good time.

I hope this is helpful.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: all-inclusive family resort

What about getting the MAP at Blue Waters? Pools, beach, low key..wonderful.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: all-inclusive family resort

Blue Waters is a good hotel, great staff, the thing that lets it down are the beaches. BW has two small beaches, the water is not clear. I think that if you have children the quality of the beach is one of the most important factors.

Things for kids? BW caters more for childless couples, though they do get a few children over Christmas/New Year.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: all-inclusive family resort

Munmun, I think what TerryFallston was referring to is the TripAdvisor "sticky" that says:

"Local Experts are real people with real personalities. Like anyone else, they can't be expected to agree with everybody, and they're allowed (also like anyone else) to take a side on a controversial issue".

In this case in answering Betty's question, I tried to answer with just the pure facts. I stand by those facts; anyone can go and see those things for themselves. I purposely omitted my personal opinion, which as you have guessed is somewhat negative, although not for the reasons that you might think as I have sold my home and am moving to the Mill Reef area anyway.

I wish there is a way to (privately) discuss my reasons with you; I don't want to do so here because they are somewhat political and thus I don't think they belong on this forum.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: all-inclusive family resort

Ooops, I totally screwed up----the previous posting was supposed to be posted on the thread called "Hotel Advice Please". Sorry! (I should never try to multi-task).