We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Verandah - Antigua

Essex
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
The Verandah - Antigua

Please can someone update me on the latest development regarding The Verandah. We have booked through Virgin Holidays on the understanding it is fully ready and operational by July. We are due to go on the 20th! I have seen pictures of a completed suite on another travel website - it looks lovely. I have never been to Antigua before and want this to be a perfect holiday for my family. If anyone out there knows something I don't about this property please let me know. Thanking you in advance.

Fallston, MD
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Verandah - Antigua

Which travel site did you see those photos on?

Cheers,

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Verandah - Antigua

Hi

We drove passed today, it looked far from finished but looks like it should be done by July.

Check out the size of the beach before you book.

Hope this helps

FIFE scotland
Level Contributor
357 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Verandah - Antigua

Hiya I asked the same question about The Verandah and am still in 2 minds about it but leaning towards it rapidly when I saw the suite at besttravel.co.uk. We would like to go in October but I have never been to a brand new resort before...I usually rely on trip advisor reviews...ah well might just have to take a chance and book

Essex
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Verandah - Antigua

Thanks for all your replies. FYI I saw the photographs on bestattravel.co.uk - I hope they are the real deal 'cos it looks lovely. Virgin Holidays appear to be taking bookings from March this year - I do hope it's all completed for July.

In one of the previous posts I read that building works had been halted due to environmental issues - does anyone know anything about this?

Also what are the must dos for our fortnight in Antigua. We have two children aged 10 and 9.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Verandah - Antigua

Hi

In todays Observor (Antigua) there is an article about on-going talks due to destruction of the mangroves in the area and the envioronmental impact of this. I believe this may have halted building at the moment, the article mentioned a meeting yesterday and another on Friday with government officials.

Looking at how the building work is going I think the photos you can see must be a one off completed unit for advertising, the rest dont look ready to me.

Fallston, MD
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Verandah - Antigua

Thanks, "Silver29", for the website. I figured that interior photos of the 2 model units would have to surface somewhere, sometime!

I hope that "ASC" goes to the site to look at them as well. The photos show a room layout that is a tad different from the floor plan that has been on the Elite Island Resort site for months and months. I personally like the interior layout of the model photos!

The 700 sq ft suite size disclosed on your referenced site is the first I've seen that gives an approximate unit area. Whether or not this number includes the actual 'veranda (balcony) area' remains to be seen. I had thought that the suites would be closer to 500 sq ft.

There are several aspects of those photos that just don't seem to "add up". The most glaring of which is that partial balcony wall with the framed wall hanging photo or whatever. It would have been nice if a photo had been taken, from the closet wall side of the room, of the opposite wall.

In any event, to the best of my current knowledge, the work on the actual resort infrastructure never ceased. Perhaps, the stop-work order was only for the affected mangrove area that was allegedly disturbed by Mr. Barrett & crew?

Cheers,

Essex
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Verandah - Antigua

Thanks so much for the replies. I shall have to keep my fingers crossed that it will be ready on time. I shall keep checking the forum and would be grateful for any future updates - good ar bad! I like to be prepared.

We decided to take the gamble on this resort because

1) We stayed in a new spanish resort two years ago & it was wonderful - everything was so clean & fresh.

2) The price seems very reasonable for a 4* all incl - they're obviously trying to entice us.

3) Not many places had rooms catering for 2 adults & 2 Children that had a privacy curtain/partition.

Anyway, thanks for all your help.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Verandah - Antigua

I happened to be there when they were taking the promotional shots----they did indeed complete just one of the duplexes in order to take photos. In fact, they then took it partially apart (e.g., removed railings and some fixtures) after the photos were completed!!! That being said, it did look to me like at least the first phase of the resort will be completed in a few months---certainly by July.

This resort is the subject of considerable controversy---as a previous poster mentioned, there was recently even a stop-work order issued by the government because the developer has done considerable environmental damage (not that construction actually seemed to stop though!).

The developer bought the property from the Antiguan government in a complicated and questionable transaction (the property had been given to the government by a close friend of my family's in the 1960's, so I am very familiar with the circumstances). The property has been greatly enjoyed as a park by the citizens of Antigua for over 40 years, so the real losers with the construction of the resort are the people of Antigua...who are not taking this lying down. There is a call for a boycott of this resort, which will probably not effect it too much, as the developer will likely hire people from countries other than Antigua to serve as employees, which may cause other service issues.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Verandah - Antigua

My husband mentioned a couple more things at dinner as we were discussing Verandah. First to TerryFallston: the 700 sq feet absolutely includes the balcony (or "veranda") but I don't see this as an issue since life in the tropics is so indoor/outdoor anyway.

On the downside: Antigua may have 365 beaches, but this is NOT a beach resort. I have seen (on various websites) some pretty high prices quoted for "waterfront" units, and while they may technically be so, they certainly are not "waterfront" in the way my expectations would be. The waterfront units are on a cliffside, and do indeed have gorgeous views. But unless you are going to get out the mountain-climbing gear and repel down the cliff, they are actually waterVIEW, not waterfront from a practical matter.

The resort abuts a very small (75 yards long or so) and very narrow beach which is mostly on what is left of the national park property. The developer has added some depth to this beach, which may help. However just adjacent to the Verandah waterfront, on the national park property there is a swampy/muddy marshland which I presume the developer is going to have to attempt to fill in or otherwise put fence around, as it is immediately adjacent to the Verandah beach and is not only an eyesore but would be a hazard.

The original plan for the resort as filed by the developer shows some beach area where there has never been a beach. I am wondering if this is why these units are being marketed as "waterfront" and if this is why he has gotten into trouble with the Antiguan government and got the stop-work-order....perhaps he plans to "make" a beach.

In December my husband and I swam across the bay to the "Verandah beach", and either of us can tell you with certainty that the construction has polluted the bay terribly. Do not go and expect crystal-clear water---it was disgusting. Where waters were once so clear one could see the bottom in 20-foot depths, we could barely see six inches below the surface. When I put my feet down I encountered a tangle of weeds, and when I dove down to see the bottom I found cement bags, coffee cups, construction trash, and a lot of other things I decided not to even try to indentify (this was three weeks ago). This is an "eco-resort"???

This resort is on a small inlet that (as the government and Antiguan environmental organizations have been recently emphasizing) does not flush out very well. In my opinion, this resort is a bit more than that bay can handle, and it's already proved so. I happened to live on that bay years ago when the little Dian Bay Resort was built, and it took over a decade for the water quality to come back even from that small bit of construction. I am sure it will be fine for those who wish to stick to the pool.

Fallston, MD
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Verandah - Antigua

"Silver29",

Regarding your: 3) Not many places had rooms catering for 2 adults & 2 Children that had a privacy curtain/partition.

Privacy curtain/partition? I kind of doubt, based on the photos, that you'll find this at the Verandah. If you've seen something stated, of the like, in print ... please let us know and the reference link.

Best Regards,