We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verandah Resort

The Garden State
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Verandah Resort

I recently read that the Verandah Resort opened on Antigua. Does anyone have any information?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verandah Resort

Hi

Can you tell me where you read it please

Thamks - Mun

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verandah Resort

It is set to open in July.

Ann Phelan

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Verandah Resort

This resort has one of the LONGEST threads on this entire Antigua forum.......at least 27 replies to a similar question (and that was only last time I looked, a few days ago).

The place is very controversial; subject to myriad lawsuits, stop-work-orders by the governent, extreme resentment from the local Antiguans in the surrounding area (including boycott), under a cloud due to environmental damage, etc etc etc. In spite of this it is also apparently attracting a large number of bookings from people drawn by the on-line brochures (which like most photos show the views from the one or two rooms with the best views). The bay itself is very narrow (about 200 yards wide) and with four exceptions most of the "oceanfront" rooms look across this small expanse to a developed area of private homes and another resort. The non-oceanfront rooms look at the backs of the oceanfront units.

My extensive interaction with the resort and its developer last month still indicate that it is likely that at least half of the rooms (there are 157, making this a large resort by Antigua standards) will be ready by the Cricket. I am not sure about the other half, and of course it will depend on what the government does regarding the envrionmental damage. But my long-term experience in Antigua makes me guess the entire resort will likely be finished this summer.

There is a severe problem with pollution of the narrow bay on which the project is situated (i.e. because of the construction of the resort). However since the resort has very little beach, this will likely not be a factor for the guests.

4. Re: Verandah Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 21:16