We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Antigua

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
216 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Antigua

Has anyone rented a car in Antigua? Will be staying at a resort and thinking about renting a car for a few hours. Would love to stop at a few beaches and drive around the island exploring on our own. Any advice would be appreciated.

24 replies to this topic
Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Antigua

Literally 1,000's of tourists rent cars every year on Antigua. Other than "driving on the left" there's not much difference in driving in Antigua than there is driving in Massapequa. There are no highways, main roads are only one lane in each direction, secondary roads are often one lane, two tracks or even unpaved and speed limits are lower than "back home". The rental car company will supply you with a road map. Take it easy driving, don't be in a rush and you'll be just fine.

Montreal, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Antigua

I just spent the day driving around the island. They drive on the left so if you're from a country that drives on the right, you will have to get used to that. I found it very easy to drive here, all you really have to do is watch for potholes, stray dogs, and pedestrians on the sides of the roads. It sometimes helps to be assertive in certain situations, keep in mind there isn't the rigid rules and right-of-way order that one finds in many Western cities (my point of reference is Eastern Canada.) I'd recommend steering clear of St. John's if you're not comfortable maneuvering through tight spaces with people and cars all around. Other than that, just keep with the flow of traffic, maintain confidence and you'll be fine! Simple.

los angeles
Level Contributor
558 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Antigua

Does Sandals represent a car rental company on site for resort guests? One where you pick up the car in the morning at the resort and return it back to resort at the end of the day?

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Antigua

I didn't notice any thing at the reception or within the information pack in our room regarding car hire. There is a tour company called Island Routes that operates in Sandals, it may be possible that they could organise something.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Antigua

Any car rental company will deliver to your resort, and pick up at the end of your term. They will also do all the paperwork for your temporary licence. I think the minimum rental period is 24 hours, but I'm sure they would be happy to pick up earlier if that was what you wanted (you'd still pay the full day rate).

Edited: 05 January 2017, 21:33
los angeles
Level Contributor
558 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Antigua

Thank you all! Very, very helpful.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Destination Expert
for Stoke-on-Trent
Level Contributor
371 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Antigua

Some young-ish people we met there hired sort of Jeep type vehicles, they said they did the whole island and had a blast !

los angeles
Level Contributor
558 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Antigua

Thank you mister j!

Cincinnati, Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in Antigua

Thank you! Very helpful.

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
216 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving in Antigua

Any places we should drive to other than the advertised popular spots? Certain towns to drive through? Which public beaches to stop at?

Reply to: Driving in Antigua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. John's
Recent Conversations