We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Status of port and recs for small private tours

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
426 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Status of port and recs for small private tours

We are - as of now - planning to be in Antiqua (my first time in this port) in early January on the Summit. I'm trying to learn if it will still be a port stop. Also, I'm not a "beach person" - I burn- and prefer to see an island for a few hours. Using TA I found some private tours (I always use PTs rather than ship tours as I lioke to keep the $ local) with mixed reviews but they seemed to be large groups of 16 or so. I prefer max of 8 or 10. Can anyone help with above?

Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,659 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Status of port and recs for small private tours

It's very easy to take a taxi tour from the port - there are fixed rates for some options shown here:

www.antiguanice.com/v2/page.php?page=30

The alternative is to pre-book one of the excellent private tour guides to get a personalised experience, with an itinerary that is tailored to exactly what you'd like. I happily recommend Sean's VIP tours - he and his family are amazing ambassadors for the island and do IMO a fantastic job. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Rev…

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
426 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Status of port and recs for small private tours

Thanks Mizgeorge. I did look at Sean's site and saw his 1/2 day tour for $70 pp. I contacted him for availability.

I looked at the taxi tour rates and they are at least 1/2 the price just for 2 people. I don't know how they fill a cab (up to 4). Three squeezed in the back? I'd find another couple to share one if we could fit comfortable. Also that web site does not say how long the tour would be (or did I miss that?).

Abnd I didn't see away to pre-book a cab tour. We are not beach people so I'm interested seeing the sites, learning the culture and taking photos of course. Any additional help from you or others will be appreciated.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,659 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Status of port and recs for small private tours

The huge majority of 'taxis' are of the mini-bus type - seating at least 8 people comfortably. There are plenty of taxi drivers who will accept pre-bookings, but it's usually just as easy to use the dispatcher system, which is surprisingly efficient.

I'd still recommend Sean though...

Reply to: Status of port and recs for small private tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. John's
Recent Conversations