We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
Save Topic
Hotels

Looking at a visit to St. Johns in January. We won't be renting a car, so we are interested in accommodation that is in easy walking distance to restaurants and sights. My search so far has me leaning towards the Heritage Hotel. Any other recommendations?

4 replies to this topic
UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,659 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels

Unless you're visiting on business, I can think of absolutely no reason to stay in the city itself, and loads of reasons for not doing so!

In January, I'd recommend staying in the English Harbour/Falmouth area. Have a look at somewhere like the Catamaran Hotel in Falmouth, or if your budget allows, perhaps the Yacht Club Marina, or one of the hotels within Nelsons Dockyard - the Copper and Lumber Store has bucketloads of charm, for example.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels

Thanks mizgeorge for your response. We aren't really beach people and typically enjoy cities. I thought St. Johns would be the best option for us in Antigua. I'll have a look at English Harbour/Falmouth.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,659 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels

Unfortunately, St Johns is not by any stretch of the imagination, a pretty city. There are a couple of blocks of shopping, one attractive boutique and restaurant area, and a couple of bus stations at opposite ends of town. It can be noisy with traffic, people, and on cruise ship days (of which there will be many in January) very busy with day visitors. Not to mention hot and at times fairly smelly!

There are very few cities (and they really are only small towns) in the Caribbean that I'd describe as scenic - St Georges in Grenada, Havana, old San Juan and Negril come to mind, as well as Deshaies in Guadeloupe (the fictional Honore from Death in Paradise) and perhaps one or two in the ABC islands that I don't know well.

English Harbour is not large at all, but the Dockyard is beautifully restored, with plenty of nice walks nearby.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels

Thanks again for your feedback. I was also looking at Grenada. I know Havana very well. I've spent about 6 months there and over 2 years in Cuba total. We normally take long trips, but in January I only have a 2 week period I can get away. Been to Cuba and Mexico too much lately. Cartagena is also on my short list.

Reply to: Hotels
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. John's
Recent Conversations