We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verandah Resort & Spa: room only vs all inclusive?

Dublin
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Verandah Resort & Spa: room only vs all inclusive?

Hi, We're planning to stay at the Verandah early next year. Wondering about the value of all-inclusive. If any travellers have stayed there and can post information on what the drinks prices are like (glass of wine, bottle of beer, soft drink etc) we'd appreciate it. Is bottled water all inc.? All inc. is working out at €130 a day (for two people).

We may not wish to eat every night at the Verandah, so just wondering whether the all inc. extra's are worth it, or whether better off just paying for drinks/ food as and when we want them.

Many thanks

J&B, Dublin

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verandah Resort & Spa: room only vs all inclusive?

If you do not wish to eat there every night, do understand that you will need to have hired a car, or you will need to take a taxi to other restaurants. Other than a nearby pizza-joint (which is ok, not great) any other restaurant is a half hour drive, at least. If you haven't hired a car, the taxi charges will add a considerable cost to your night or lunch out.

Antigua, West Indies
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verandah Resort & Spa: room only vs all inclusive?

Very good advice by Cessna.

All-Inclusive Resorts generally charge a lot for meals and drinks to non-inclusive guests. A rental car will run you anywhere from US$65 to.....per day plus you have to deal with the distances from Verandah which is a bit out of the way. With regard to bottled water, to my knowledge, this is not included in AI resorts. Drinks can be anywhere from US$5 to US$10 each.

Add all this up, plus consider the 20.5% tax and service charge included in the 130 Euros and there won't be much left for fancy restaurants!

I am not an all-inclusive person but considering the location of Verandah - I would probably go all-inclusive.

Enjoy

Dublin
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Verandah Resort & Spa: room only vs all inclusive?

Many thanks for both of your replies. Knew we'd need to taxi/ use hire car to go to restaurants outside the Verandah - felt that would be ok if we chose to spend our money that way. Was more concerned about spending money upfront for AI and not making the best use of it. However, the tax/govt charges is a good point! We obtained prices for breakfast and buffet dinner from the hotel (US$25/ US$40 per person), but when you add on the tax and just a few drinks, AI looks better value, even if we ate out the odd night.

Many thanks again for the insight.

J&B

midlands
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verandah Resort & Spa: room only vs all inclusive?

Seriously, if you intend to go out a lot and eat around do not go to this resort. I have done a review which is largely favourable but there are better places to go to have that type of holiday.

If you do not go 'all inclusive' then the drinks will seem expensive, I think. When I was there however there was no checking, so the 'non all inclusive' people must have done well!

In my opinion this is a resort which is best appreciated as an 'all inclusive' hideaway.

new york
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Verandah Resort & Spa: room only vs all inclusive?

My husband and I just returned home from the Verandah....... I have to say that the all inclusive plan is well worth it. When you sit by the pool or at the beach it is very hot so the abundance of all inclusive drinks will be well worth your money. Its funny though..... they don't give you a wrist band like many of the other resorts so you cant tell who is inclusive and who is not. The pool staff serves drinks to everyone for free. As for eating at the Verandah, we left the property and walked down the road ( 3 minute walk ) and had dinner one night at a place called Mama Pastas. Best meal we had. May we suggest the Lobster stir fry.....yummy!!!!!!

There really is nothing around if you don"t hire a car. The cars you can rent from the hotel range from 45 dollars a day to 100 dollars a day. We didn't feel comfortable with the way people drive down there so we hired taxis for our excursions. Just a side note the taxis are very expensive and you have to go far to see anything.

6. Re: Verandah Resort & Spa: room only vs all inclusive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 17:20
Get answers to your questions about St. John's