We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dialects

Antigua
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dialects

Local experts,

Can you tell me just a little about local dialects spoken by the Antiguan people. Would they like or resent an attempt to learn a lttle? My friends in Jamaica get a kick out of my limited but beloved attempts at patois? Any simple expressions of greeting or thanks?

alexandria, va.
Level Contributor
248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dialects

for me it's kind of hard to explain and i've never heard of any " name" given to it, i would describe it as as a lazy english slang where only parts of words are used and words are left out of statements, over the years i've come to understand it fairly well but never mastered speaking any, i have on a couple of occasions asked some of the locals about it and they have tried to explain some of it to me but never caught on using it, NEVER has anyone i've asked resented being asked, like your Jamaician friends i think they get a kick out of someone trying it, enjoy

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dialects

Patois is the dialect referred to in the French islands. In the British islands including Jamaica it is as you correctly call it dialect. The dialect is used in conversation but the basic greetings are in standard English. Unlike Papiamento and Patois/Creole, it would be indeed funny for a tourist to start speaking dialect. I used it after being married to an Antiguan and spending much time there. Sometimes I slip into it easily..some phrases are best described only in dialect vs standard English....

Cheers

3. Re: Dialects

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 01:19
Get answers to your questions about St. John's