We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency best to use

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Currency best to use

Due to go shortly to Antigua and am wondering if its best to take US dollars EC dollars or a mixture. Any comments please.

Thanks

alexandria, va.
Level Contributor
248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency best to use

If you use US Dollars ( which is excepted everywhere ) you will usually receive EC money in return, no need to go with a mixture.

It might be easier to use EC so that you don't have to get involved with the conversion from US Dollars to EC money.

For the most part you will find Antiguan people to be honest about the conversion, although it tends to lean just a bit towards their favor.

enjoy

Nottingham
Level Contributor
173 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency best to use

I have always used UD dollars without any problem. You can always get rid of the unspent ones back home at the bank or perhaps another trip. Everything is prices in both US and local. The hotel bill was in US.

Brunswick, Ohio
Level Contributor
138 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency best to use

Just got back Sat from a week on a beautiful Island. Hadnt been there since 1996.

Either currency is easily accepted. They were giving a very fair exchange around the Jolly Harbor area.2.6EC per US$. I must say this was the fairest exchange we have found in the carib. and mexico. Most places we found will convert you bill for you if ask or tell them you are paying with US. A very large portion of the stores we went into had their merchandise marked with both prices.

So I would say just take USD and a credit card and you will have no problem. Any EC change we got back we always used it for the maid or tips for the cabby or whereever else we needed to tip.

Have a ball and tell us about your trip when you get back.

toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency best to use

Just got back on Sunday,

Had the same question before I left and used USD BUT*** Would have been much easier to use ECD:

Even though USD is "accepted" everywhere. 98% of the places we went, from gas stations, stores, restaurant menus all had prices quoted in ECD so it became a pain to keep trying to do the conversion in my head everytime i wanted to buy something. Even more annoying was that except for the airport stores, everywhere else gave change back in ECD so i had to keep 2 different piles.

and finally, some places were quoting different exchange rates, so when getting back change, or paying for something, i was relying on their conversion which was usually not the same across the board so i probably lost a little in exchange at a few places ( i.e one texaco station quoted me 52 EC for 20US while another said 54EC)

Bottom Line

Even though you can use USd, Just take EC

Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency best to use

TA users, please use the search function. It is quite useful.

This topic has been talked about at length; there are many threads on this that you can find by searching.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=224&geo=150894&scope=2&q=currency+&x=14&y=8&returnTo=%2FShowForum-g150894-i224-Antigua_and_Barbuda.html

This is why some of the regular posters either don't post any more or hardly post. It gets tiring facing the same questions day after day when a simple search would provide the information sought.

England
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency best to use

Thanks for the useful information and I will report back(if I don't decide to stay)

LINDA.

England
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency best to use

Thanks very much for the information

Linda.

England
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency best to use

Thanks very much for the info

England
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency best to use

Chris. Thanks for you very useful information. Always good to speak to someone who has been there recently and experienced it.

Linda.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency best to use

I agree with all that's been said. It is important to remember that EC does not freely float-----it is tied to the US $ at a rate of around 1$US =2.65$EC, give or take a few pennies.

It's very easy to do the maths in your head---multiply the EC by 4/10 (.4) which will give you a US$ equivalent.

Coming from G.B., I would indeed take EC, just to avoid paying for the exchange twice.

And remember, as Jimmy Buffett said: "EC come, EC go!"!!!!!!

Get answers to your questions about St. John's