We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galley Bay , new extra charge for eating at Ismays

England
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Galley Bay , new extra charge for eating at Ismays

Hi there

When we booked Galley Bay a few weeks ago we were under the impression all 3 restaurants were included in the AI package, I have just had an update from my trvel agent informing me we have to pay a supplement to eat at Ismays. Really disapointed as one reason for us chosing this resort was becasue oof the choice of restaurant. Have they been charging for long? Has anyone else had this update from their agent recently?

Herts.
8 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Galley Bay , new extra charge for eating at Ismays

Hi Bubbleygirl

This is an extract from their website today

Open for dinner 7 days a week. (For all inclusive guests; adults & children a supplement of $35.00 per person applies)

We are going next week and trust we won't be charged. This statement certainly wasn't on the website when we booked to stay at Galley Bay.

We booked direct with the hotel so don't have any feedback from a travel agent.

England
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Galley Bay , new extra charge for eating at Ismays

HI

If it wasn't part of the deal when you booked hopefuly they will honour that. I was told by our agent that it comes into efect in Jan 2010. We have been told that we won't be charged. Maybe worth e-mailing the hotel? We have 2 weeks to go until we arrive, can't wait.

St Albans
Level Contributor
94 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Galley Bay , new extra charge for eating at Ismays

We have just got back and didnt pay for Ismays. We ate there once for dinner and didnt do lunch. At the moment the only surcharge is for lobster which is normal for AI where I have been (20US I think)

Ismays is nice and small and you do have to book for this as there are 2 sittings 645 and 830. It was nice- but apart from the size it ws very similar to Seagrape but quiet as no bandso we preferred Seagrape out of the 2. The Gaugin is really nice as you have your own little thatched canopy.

It does say on the Galley Bay site though about the new surcharge for Ismays

North Linolnshire
Level Contributor
177 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Galley Bay , new extra charge for eating at Ismays

I am due to stay at Galley bay in April 2010 and am concerned about this charge, if we dont want to pay it , we will be left with 2 restaurants for a 2 weeks stay, IF they are both open!!

We booked with Virgin in June and if we hadnt seen the postings here about the supplement we would be non the wiser as Virgin havent bothered to tell us.

I have emailed the hotel directly and asked if we will be exptected to pay as we booked before this was introduced, I am awaiting a response.

When I get one I will post it here.

London, UK
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Galley Bay , new extra charge for eating at Ismays

We just returned from Galley Bay today and can confirm that the charge begins in Jan '10.

They are however incredibly underbooked at the moment (only 21 of 98 rooms were occupied) and so only one restarant was open each day for lunch and dinner - no choice.

We spoke to the manager who said that current economic climate has inevitably hit them - they have decided not to continue building the new pool for the foreseeable future as it was a choice between that and keeping on staff. I think they defintely made the right choice.

Depite this we had a fantastic time and are alreay planning a return trip!

If you have any questions I will try to answer them for you.

England
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Galley Bay , new extra charge for eating at Ismays

Hi there

If they only had one restaurant open did they vairy which one it was they had open? I am a little concerned as the reason we chose this resort is because it had a choice of restaurants.

Did they still do the beach BBQ?

Thanks for your reply, I am a little anxious now that we have made the wrong choice.

North Linolnshire
Level Contributor
177 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Galley Bay , new extra charge for eating at Ismays

I emailed Galley Bay last week and received a responce from James Lang, General Manager, which stated that the charge will only be implemented once the new 4th restaurant is open. He says this is currently in 'design phase'. This 4th restaurant should ensure that if you do not wish to pay a suulpement and eat at Ismay's there is still a chioce of 3 restaurants. I did reply asking if this was definate , as some reports do sugest that all restaurants being open on the same night is a rarity. He has not replied as yet.

Im still looking forward to my holiday to Galley Bay, Im a bit upset that Virgin Holidays havent bothered to contact me yet to inform me of the charge, I only learned abuot it on Trip Advisor, booked through Virgin 3 months ago, still havent had any word from them, I wonder how many other Virgin customers there are who are still unaware?

London, UK
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Galley Bay , new extra charge for eating at Ismays

They do vary it. For the first few days the Seagrape was open for all meals and then one of the other two for lunch and dinner.

When they decided to open only one per meal -

sun, mon, tues = gaugiun for lunch, ismays for dinner

wed = gauguin for lunch, seagrape for dinner

thurs = ismays for lunch, bbq dinner

fri, sat = ismays for lunch, gauguin for dinner.

I think James Long got it in the ear a bit from everyone at his meet and greet cocktail party about the Ismays charge and also the restuarant options for whilst we were there. Hopefully he will have taken note and changed his mind.

Herts.
8 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Galley Bay , new extra charge for eating at Ismays

I sent a message to Galley Bay yesterday and this was their reply

"Regarding the opening hours of our Gauguin Restaurant, the reviews are indeed correct. Due to popular demand of our guests, we have opened the Gauguin Restaurant for lunch only (at this time).

Since the expansion of the resort last year, we have had to review the opening hours of all three of our restaurants. Our challenge is to find the correct balance of restaurants with the occupancy of the hotel. We have found that when we open all the restaurants during times of lower occupancy, guest advise us that there is no atmosphere in any of our dining rooms. Obviously the reverse is true when we don’t open enough restaurants.

Consequently we have to continually monitor and adjust the restaurant opening hours to suit the hotel’s occupancy. Many of the returning guests commented to me personally that they would rather the Gauguin Restaurant to be open during the day, due to the spectacular views. Of course there have been a few guests that would rather it be the other way around, so we change the venues around from time to time. However, I cannot promise that the Gauguin Restaurant will be open for dinner during your stay.

We are obliged to have all our restaurants open each day, but we reduce the meals offered between the venues to match the occupancy.

Currently the Sea Grape Restaurant is open for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.

Gauguin Restaurant is open for lunch (12-4.30pm) seven days a week.

Ismay’s is open for dinner seven days a week."

I hope this is helpful to other future guests of Galley Bay!

HedonistLiz

New Jersey
Level Contributor
424 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Galley Bay , new extra charge for eating at Ismays

Great response on GB's part...they really are a class act.

None of this would stop me from going back, we will return next year regardless of what options are available....the place is gorgeous with amazing staff, a beautiful beach and top-notch accomodations. Each restaurant is on the beach and dining in any of them is pure caribbean pleasure.

Many resorts are jumbling and trying to stay afloat, let's hope our favorites can manage and the economy crisis doesn't cause too much havoc for hardworking people everywhere.

Get answers to your questions about St. John's