We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antigua crime

Columbus, MS
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Antigua crime

We just booked flights to Antigua for the last of October. Today I saw articles about a murder of a tourist who was on his honeymoon. Seems it was at Coco Hotel. We were looking at the Cocobay Resort for a place to stay. What's going on?

Fallston, MD
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antigua crime

While we can never slight the murder of anyone .... In so far as Antigua goes, this was an aberration and certainly not the norm in any sense of the word.

Antigua is a safe place to visit with normal precautions taken.

Cheers,

Cedar Valley...
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Antigua crime

Most of Antiguan crime is limited to burglaries and most of the murders that we have had in the last few years are tied to the drug trade. The murder of a tourist is an except to the rule.

I come from Baltimore and have lived here for the last 3.5 years with my family. Baltimore's murder rate was worse. But, like with most things in life, a little common sense and caution can take you a long way toward living safely.

Enjoy your trip!

Lincoln, NE
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Antigua crime

don't worry about this. it was almost a year ago. the antiguan people are very nice and care free. of course there are always people that give bad impressions but they are few and far between. the accident that occured at coco's was very isolated and random act. we just returned from cocobay (sunday) and there is always security around the resort and it is completely fenced in. you might be surprised that cocobay and coco's are near some very nice areas of antigua and not in the "bad" parts of town. people in valley church area are some of the nicest!!

Huron, Ohio
Level Contributor
550 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antigua crime

We were in Antigua in April... I was so worried about the crime.. and we felt 100% safe.. it's just like any other island or city... things are going to happen, but use caution and you'll be just fine

we had a great time and definately would go back someday!

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antigua crime

May I suggest for your own peace of mind that you may like to check your Government's travel advice to Antigua and look under 'crime'. If you check under fco.gov.uk ( British Government website ) you will see the facts as they are.

This time last year two Welsh tourists were shot whilst they were asleep in their hotel room and in January this year an Australian yacht captain was shot in English Harbour.

I feel very strongly that travellers should be aware of the facts and then they can make up their own minds whether to visit a destination or not.

Antigua is a beautiful Island with lovely people and I feel deeply sorry that these tragedies have taken place.

I am quite sure that you will have a wonderful holiday; have fun.

6. Re: Antigua crime

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about St. John's